Camaro, Vette, Stang owners....Need some advice!

Guest Mushijobah

Guest Mushijobah

Hey guys. On my trip home from school when driving through some heavy rain my car started fucking up. Now this shouldn't happen considering the engine is less than 1000 miles old.... It started as a bad lope at low RPM's then turned into a full blown miss at even idle. This could be a bad optispark, who knows. I took it to my mechanic to diagnose it. He turned out to be an idiot. He said it was a random misfire (duh) and it would be a nightmare to fix. Wow, I guess he doesn't like making money. I was wondering if there were any shops in the COLUMBUS area that specialized in muslce-esque cars. This is the 96 z28. I know of several places in cleveland, but do not want to haul or drive the car nearly that far. Any suggestions? PS if there are any other F body owners that have come across the same problem, what was it?! I am guessing opti....Something in the ignition at least. I hear no knocking, just a shudder and flashing SES.

Thanks so much.

Kyle

my friends girlfriends car was doing this exact same thing. he tried the opti first and that wasnt it, so then he went on and tried plugs and wires, that seemed to fix it. if you want someone to work on it give Rob a call at LaSota automotive 740-971-4901. and he should be able to help ya out.

Guest Mushijobah
Thanks gerg, called him this evening and told him the symptoms, he sounded confident in figuring it out. The earliest he can do it by is weds of next week so it kinda sucks waiting that long. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Yeah I'd check plugs and wires first. How old are the wires? Especially if you just put the engine in, a wire may have gotten burnt up.. If the wires aren't new it could only help to replace em.

Everybody loves to jump the gun and replace optisparks... do basic tune up stuff and go from there.

Guest Mushijobah
Ok I will work on switching them tomorow. The plugs are new. How long do wire generally take?? It looked horrible when I was down there. Getting the wires free of the clips were enough headach by themselves!

what kind of mods do you have on the car?

my buddy's car had the same problem and it was the opti.... but it was only when it was wet out... once the car dried out, it would stop... I remember back in the day, the old distributers if they got moisture in them, they would do that also... you could just have a leak or crack in your opti causing that... if it happens when the car dries out, i would check plugs and wires, then go to opti if it doesn't fix it.

what kind of mods do you have on the car?

my buddy's car had the same problem and it was the opti.... but it was only when it was wet out... once the car dried out, it would stop... I remember back in the day, the old distributers if they got moisture in them, they would do that also... you could just have a leak or crack in your opti causing that... if it happens when the car dries out, i would check plugs and wires, then go to opti if it doesn't fix it.

Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to say the exact same thing.

I also would like to highly recommend IPS http://www.ipsmotorsports.net

Call Jeff, Mike, or Greg at 614-444-5884.

Again, you don't have to take it anywhere with the amount of LT1 owner/ex-owners around here willing to help. The majority of troubleshooting and repair on these engines is not difficult, just requires an amount of patience.

I got your IM. Check yours :)

Guest Mushijobah

Thanks you guys, huge help. I will tap the LT1 Gods on there of their knowledge and maybe talk trash about some mustangs while at it. If that doesn't resolve, I will go professional.

THANKS!!

Thanks you guys, huge help. I will tap the LT1 Gods on there of their knowledge and maybe talk trash about some mustangs while at it. If that doesn't resolve, I will go professional.

THANKS!!

ha please do.. aint the one with a problem...

jk

THANKS!!

ur good at talking trash about mustangs. just gotta work on actually backing it up. :D

Guest 12sec94z
changing wires on them SUCKS! I did mine with new Opti. the wires took longer then tearing down the car and putting it back togeather. If you do wires i would recomend the made for you over the valve cover wies from summit. Also i would go out and say that it probably it the opti. Thats what my past two did and they never threw a code. I know a guy who is very familliar with the LT1's. he used to own mine. His name is Ed Elliot. He is part owner of charlies autobody. He handle all of the motor work and repairs. 614-207-2325. give him a call he will take a look at it.

Guest Mushijobah

Ok mr. wrx! I can talk trash about any car that takes 6 years to come out with a model that can beat an lt1! PS I kind of remember beating you from a dig twice :p . You might want to stop badmouthing wrx's until you can back it up with something other than excuses! You will grow accustom to badmouthing mustangs when you can afford an LS1!

I am done making fun of mustangs, their way better than any domestic/asian roadster of the same price.

ANYWAYS...

How do the 'over the valve cover wires' even work and look? Is it an easier design to work with? Do you have a link for it? I hate GM's freakin "good ideas" on ignition designs! It is a pretty old style motor so I can't bitch too much.

Guest 12sec94z
They work Awsome and look great. It a way easier design to work with too. They wont burn up with header as easily. It keeps them away. here is the link, scroll down towards the bottom. You will see pics and pricing.