Transmission cooling

MrMeanGreen

When I put my new radiator in, should I continue to run the lines through the radiator's internal cooler in tandem with my 50k GVW external cooler, or just straight through the exteral cooler alone?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to either of these procedures? I'd *think* that running through both would provide extra cooling, but then again, taking the internal cooler outta the loop (and it's additional heat due to running via heated coolant) may be better.

Thanks.

think of it this way, its not gonna hurt anything so why not try to get it a cool as you can.

I've been told to only run the aftermarket one. The stock one can get heat soak from the radiator so I'm gonna try disconnecting the stock one and see how it works on the aftermarket one alone. I'm also gonna move mine to where the ATI intercoolers mount, do a search on LS1 tech for "dope style" and you'll see pics.

Guest Removed
bypass the radiator! the cooler you keep the trans the better! trans fuild temp limit is right around 175 -190, thats when it starts too break down! even a small fan will help keep the air moving across it in stop and go traffic! high stall converters will heat the fuild faster then anything, the smaller the converter, the bigger the cooler needs too be (me thinks you have that covered).

Yeah always run the fluid through both coolers. If you have a temp gauge on your system and feel that its running to cold you could remove one of them. High or low temps in the transmission can cause problems. That is why on late model cars you started to see them staying in there 1 to 1 gear for a time before bumping up into overdrive. This was to get the temps up in both the engine and the transmission.

Evan

• 3 weeks later...