Just an idea

ohio_wookie

Brian- any crank driven power adder takes power to make power. even turbochargers take energy (it's somewhat free though). The trick is to make a lot more power than you take.

That said it's cool idea to think about :) There's a few problems with it though:

-The AC compressor takes a decent amount of HP to drive. Most cars disable it at X rpm or when load exceeds a certain value. On low displacement engines, you could feel the AC bogging down the motor.

-R134a sucks. It has a low evap point compared to R22.

-The heat has to go somewhere. If you bridge the system off the condenser - it holds the heat. The condenser is usually behind the intercooler, but before the radiator. So you may now have higher under hood temps.

The best way I could see it used were to be a recharge setup. During cruise and possibly colder temperature idling, the compressor kicks on and pumps freon through a set of coils mounted to the IC. The IC is kept in a chilled state so transition into boost is on a cold IC. After the run is done and cruise is detected, compressor kicks on and the cycle repeats.

Nate, I like the idea, but I belive it would work better with an air to water chiller. Using the AC to cool a few gallons of 50/50 and then run it through an air to water intercooler when boost is being made. It would be able to sustain a little longer than chilling an intercooler that is exposed to a constant stream of air.

Also, with 50/50 and a good compressor, condensor and evaporator, you should be able to get that mix damn cold.

nate, ever read about that "charge cooler" that was supposedly going to be on the next iteration of the ford lightning?

Negatory, any links?

Andrew- That would make more sense. Maybe integrate the A/C cold coils into a 1-2 gal reservoir of the air/liquid setup, and maybe even run a bypass system to keep the fluid in a "cold" loop": reservoir to cooling medium to prevent any heat transfer into the system by the heat exchanger. Close the bypass when WOT is detected and let the fluid flow through the heat exchanger when the compressor kicks off. Eh, might not be worth it and just more parts to fail, I guess.

Sounds like a neat idea though.....I may just have to try it......

found it...

"Designer John Coletti’s team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque. And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn’t enough. Ford’s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air – resulting in a denser air charge."

link...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1629

found it...

"Designer John Coletti’s team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque. And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn’t enough. Ford’s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air – resulting in a denser air charge."

link...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1629

So its like having a resuable ice box without the ice, that's nuts. I love it. I think I may have to try this on the GP....