Advice on rebuilding work

jeffmeden

I have a cheap old saturn SC2 I am fixing up so I can sell it. The engine and transmission are in good shape but not perfect, a little out of balance it seems and the transmission has a notorious problem with the diff pin that i would like to fix before it causes a failure. Who in the central ohio area could I trust to do such precious work? rofl

All i want is a balance job on the motor, and a weld put on the diff pin on the transmission so I can put it together and sell it with a clear conscience. Anyone know a shop (or shops) that won't rip me off? TIA

edit: i forgot to mention it's all out of the car, I just need to know where to take it for the work.

Guest Removed

no shop in there right mind will weld the diff pin. even if you do weld it, it will still break!

now, why do you think the motor needs balanced? motors just dont go out of balance!

The diff pin in these transmissions is known for shaking loose and dropping out of the carrier, so welding in place is suggested as a fix and many people have had it done to their cars.

The motor is a long story. It's not the original internals, they were cobbled together from new and used parts after the previous ones got chewed up, so it's got a little bit of a shake to it. I am adding a new flywheel during this as well, so I would like to take the opportunity to get it balanced to try to get it as smooth as possible.

Guest Removed
i understand the diff pin issue.(most of the ones ive seen where welded and the pin still broke!) ... but if the motor is peiced together ,what makes you think it can even be balanced? if the parts are that miss matched, you may not be able too balance it!

The engine has about 40k on the rebuild, I see no reason to scrap it. I could definitely do worse from junkyard fare. As for the transmission, I have yet to hear from another person who welded their pin that it later snapped.

Regardless, from the style of your responses I am guessing this is going to be more hassle than it's worth. I think I'm just gonna plug the oil leak, put it together and send it out the door.