90 Plymouth Laser N/A DSM F/S 90K miles.

RedLudeSH

OK here's the deal, this is definately a mechanics special and will probuably be along read.

First the story. Woman I worked with, 50 year old cashier, bought this car brand new. Put 90,000 well documented miles on it, did a ton of services and so on. Paid extra for rust protection when new, which is why it isn't a rust bucket liek most 1G DSMs it has maybe a 1 and 1/2 strip of surface rust above the rear tirewell on the drivers side.

In 2003 she had the timing belt, water pump, all the hoses, spark plug wires, distributor and ECU replaced and I have all the paperwork for it. She dropped like 2K into this thing. One day while driving on the freeway it died, she had it towed to her house where it sat for a year and a half, she couldn't afford to get it fixed anymore, she spent so much on the other stuff. She walked and rode a bike to work for that whole time.

One day at work she pulls me over and asks if I wanted to buy the Laser for extremely cheap, they were paving her apartment complex and they were going to tow it if it wasn't gone by Monday (this was on a Sunday). She couldn't afford to do anything with it. I said what the hell, paid her and had a friend tow it. i figured the engine's prolly toast and I could swap in a 4G63 or something, I didn't know about all the work she had dont to it prior to it's break down. Once she gave me the paper work and I saw that everything that makes an engine swap expensive like T-Belt, access. Belts, new hoses all around, ignition stuff etc. that you might as well do since the engine is out, had already been done I figured this carwas a keeper. Worse case scenario it might need a new engine which is $100 from U-Wrench-It, and plentiful there as well. I still had no idea what was wrong with it.

I fianally go to look at it where it sits now, I check the oil and there was like 4 quarts too much in there. I ask her the next day and she admits to filling it like a gas tank. (pics of this are in the folder i'll post). So I figure pistons rings done, new engine time. For the hell of it, I drain the oil, fill it to the right level with High Mileage oil, change the spark plugs which were oil soaked and changed the tranny fluid for the hell of it too. I hooked a jump pack up to it and it started right up. I shut it off quickly, bought some gas water remover and put it in the tank with 4 gallons of new gas. I then pulled the plugs on the injectors and ran a compression check on the engine to see if the rings were done or not. All 4 cylinders came back 175-180 and got there quick. So I really don't know the deal now, the engine appears to be good. It smokes like a bitch from the tailpipe and under the hood thou. My mechanic friend that looked at it with me said it'll do that after being soaked to hell in oil but should burn through it and that the under the hood was shit from all over burning off. If not the car is still a $100 or so dollar engine away from being a great daily driver for someone mechanilcally inclined, you could prolly even turn around and sell it for a good amount of money, like i said everything is new in the engine area, she just did something very dumb.

The battery is dead as hell as to be expected i've been using a jump pack on it. We drove it around the neighborhood and a couple brakes are frozen or rusted or whatever too, it sat for 1and 1/2 year without moving like I said. I've hit a financial snag if you will and can't afford to do the smart thing and fix the brakes for under $100, better diagnose the engine and sell it for a very big profit. I have 2 preludes as it is and no time to mess with this one. I spent enough as it is on the basic maintaince stuff like, gas, new plugs, fuel water remover, oil, tranny fluid etc. I just need to get it to someone who can use it and has the time and money to fix what could potentially be a steal for someone. I have pics galore and will post them below.

Guest ridgeracer427
I want this and can buy it from you THIS weekend! me and my friend joe (you probably know him he drives a celica gts) can come look at it tommorw if possible

She does have a car now she got a rusted up old Jetta about 5 months ago. It runs great so she's set. Trust me once she got to telling me about this car my hopes were to fix it up and give it to her back at the cost of the fixing almost. My friends were gonna help too, we all went together to pick it up and she told all about it while waiting for the tow truck. She bought it new, loved it a ton, it's name is Larry the Laser. I'm just at a financial snag where i need money yesterday, hell last week, so i can't do that.

Went to check it out today. Drove it around the neighborhood, same thing, it started right up drove around blah blah blah. Then noticed that it's leaking tranny fluid. Jacked it up and there's a hose that goes from the tranny to what is i'm guessing a tranny cooler. That hose is leaking, it's not from the tranny itself or a seal or anything, it's a stupid $5 hose as far as I can tell, and i can show you. Thus any hopes of driving it away are pretty shot as you'll be out of tranny fluid soon. It only leaks when the car is running and the fluid is flowing thou. I've had numerous PMs from people with flat beds and tow trucks or hook-ups on them. This car will be good for someone and with the time i could fix it for minimial $$$ I feel better about the enging itself everytime I drive it. Anyway for $200 it's yours that's meaning i'll be making $5 if that on the whole deal, paid $150 for the car plus put $50 or so in misc. stuff for it. But I have to pay back a debt like yesterday so whatever. Someone get this it's a steal.