On the move

Science Abuse

I've seen Mig's on ebay, why not some F-14's?

Because their ours, and they're still good. There is a law that states current military tech is not to be sold on any kind of open market. I means private entities cant buy these jets and such. Once they're retired, it's pretty much fair game.

Migs are russian, and russia has more need to liquidate such things. :p

Migs are russian, and russia has more need to liquidate such things.

ya know, like nukes, and emp weapons.

the tomcat was a plane designed to be a long range bomber interceptor. they basically built that plane around one weapon, the AIM-54 phoenix missle, and its corresponding radar and avionics suite. with a range of over 100 nautical miles (!), but very limited manueverability, that missle was designed to take out long range bombers (like the bear, or the backfire) before they could launch their anti-ship missles. given that not too many nations have longe range bombers anymore, and with the advancement of point defense systems (aegis, phalanx), its main role has become combat air patrol. add to that the fact that it is virtually worhtless againt ground and hardened targets, and you have a very specialized, old, fighter jet. im just as big a fan of that jet as any who hasnt actually flown one (top gun is like my favorite movie), but you have to accede that there are much better dogfighters in our arsenal.