Bought some Absinthe..

r6allstar

So I have always been curious so I made a purchase tonight. With my girlfriends birthday coming up in a couple weeks I figured we would celebrate so I ordered two bottles of Absinthe from www.absinthe.fm

The bottles I ordered are:

Absinthe Mansinthe: Marilyn Manson's new brand

saw this in Esquire and was in Playboy too I hear as one of the best to buy

and

Absinthe Abisinthe Amer 72

Who knows could be complete shit but I figured I would try it. Will be here by the end of next week :D

Anyone here had any experiences with the stuff?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had that stuff, but me and 3 buddys did shoot threw 3 cases of miller lite, 1 case of busch light, a small bottle of 100 proof vodka, and a small bottle of jager on friday. Don't remember a whole lot maybe I should quit drinking too.

Hey man.. good call on getting ya some of that.. I have a bottle here right now. I bought mine when I was in prague a while back. Have you ever drank it before or know the "proper" way to drink it? I know it sounds weird but there is a unique way to drink absinthe. My suggestion is to start your night with 2-3 shots of absinthe and then just go out like you usually would. I will drink it with ya any time... Did you buy an absinthe spoon? Let me know if you want the info on how its served most of the time when you order it in europe.

Hey man.. good call on getting ya some of that.. I have a bottle here right now. I bought mine when I was in prague a while back. Have you ever drank it before or know the "proper" way to drink it? I know it sounds weird but there is a unique way to drink absinthe. My suggestion is to start your night with 2-3 shots of absinthe and then just go out like you usually would. I will drink it with ya any time... Did you buy an absinthe spoon? Let me know if you want the info on how its served most of the time when you order it in europe.

i didnt get the spoon but figured I could work around that small detail... or you could let me borrow it haha. just a one to three mixture with cold water right? but any information is welcomed!!!

Is this the stuff that tastes like liquorish?

I think different kinds have different tastes but yes I think some does have that taste

so I wikipediaed this and I can't get an official ruling on whether its actually illegal or not. It says that it's not on the "prohibited" list for customs, but occasionally it is seized if it looks like it is for human consumption... so, illegal, or no?

ok http://www.absinthe.bz/faq.html?act_vn :

It really depends where you are. Currently, absinthe containing thujone for human consumption is illegal in some countries including Switzerland. In the United States, Absinthe is not a controlled substance but its sale in bars and liquor stores is banned. Absinthe is still however legal to purchase and possess in the United States. In most of the European Union, absinthe may be sold as long as it stays at 10 mg of thujone. In Canada, Absinthe is completely legal, and on sale in some liquor stores.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=70 ... I think this might be a complicated question.

There is a chemical in traditional absinthe called Thujone, this chemical is banned in food products by the FDA. This one chemical is what makes absinthe illegal to sell. Generally Thujone comes from an herb called wormwood that is used in the production process of absinthe. Companies and the liquor industry have found that by filtering out this chemical they can legally sell their brand of absinthe in the USA.
In the United States, Absinthe was banned in 1912, following the French ban three years before, but the current US Customs restrictions on the importation of Absinthe only are dated from 1958 while the USDA and FDA regulations still ban the sale or importation of any beverage containing wormwood. Despite this and its a negative reputation, Absinthe has seemed to make a comeback in favor of citizens claiming the drink, whether they import it through customs or attempt to make it themselves. People are finding ways to acquire this green beverage.
Back to the legal aspect, the prevailing consensus of interpretation of United States law among American Absinthe connoisseurs is that:

[] It is legal to sell items used in the production of absinthe and even the herb Wormwood but not as part of a food product for human consumption. This derives from an FDA regulation, as opposed to a DEA regulation.

[] It is probably illegal for someone outside the country to sell such a product to a citizen living in the US, given that customs regulations specifically forbid the importation of "Absinthe."

[] It is probably not illegal to purchase such a product for personal use in the US.

[] Absinthe can be and occasionally is seized by United States Customs, if it appears to be for human consumption.

[] A faux-Absinthe liqueur called Absente, made with Artemisia abrotanum instead of Artemisia absinthium (wormwood), is sold legally in the United States however, the FDA prohibition extends to all Artemisia species, including even, in theory, Artemisia dracunculus, known as tarragon.

However, Absinthe is sold in most US retail liquor stores, or can be acquired via internet or catalogs because the export version made for the United States does not contain wormwood.

http://www.greendevil.com/absinthe_us.html

Yeah..follow the ritual. it's a must do.

i didnt get the spoon but figured I could work around that small detail... or you could let me borrow it haha. just a one to three mixture with cold water right? but any information is welcomed!!!

I think different kinds have different tastes but yes I think some does have that taste

Don't forget the sugar. This link will explain it:

http://www.wikihow.com/Drink-Absinthe

I've drank absinthe before and it really isn't all that it's made out to be. problem is that the proof is so high (140 abouts) that if you drink to much of it you get to drunk for any of the psycho-effects to become apparent. I went into it thinking that drinking it would be like eating shrooms or acid, but isn't really like either, but fun none the less.

Flounder is right, 2 or 3 shots over some sugar will do nicely.

I'll drink some with you guys anytime!!

ok http://www.absinthe.bz/faq.html?act_vn :

In most of the European Union, absinthe may be sold as long as it stays at 10 mg of thujone.

This is what I read almost everywhere I looked as well.. and that thujone was banned in US by FDA... the stuff I ordered was 30mg and 35mg of thujone lol.

I guess the good part is that the company guarantees delivery. So if it get hung up in Customs or never makes it there or is broken it is either money back or another bottle sent which is cool.

I will be selling shots at my house next weekend lol. Just two bottles shipped to my house ended up being $170 :eek:

Damn $170 for too bottles, that does seem pretty expensive. From what Flounder and OG said, just make sure you use sugar with it. When ive had it in europe they would caramelize the sugar by burning it before they mixed it with the absinthe.

A bartender in russia lit the absinthe on fire then poured it from one glass to another mixing it with the camerlized sugar, crazy russians.

Good stuff, just watch for those fairies!

never had absinthe, but i watched eurotrip...(based in ohio you know)

I drink everclear when i drink...which is probably about as often as you...

1 shot of EC in a tall glass of hawaiin punch...

all the fun side effects of alcohol with none of the gross taste...