1998 Audi A4 1.8T

lemosley01

Ok all, I'm considering trading in the Cobra and found a 98 Audi A4. For some reason, I have always been attracted to these cars.

Anyone got some good links where I can dig up information on potential problems and what to look out for, or any input on it?

Timing belt maintenance is critical...and a PITA on the 1.8T cars. Early cars required it every 60K miles, later cars with the updated tensioner require it every 90K. the '98 would obviously fall into the 60K category. Other than that control arms and other suspension components should be checked. (I've been through a few tie-rod ends but that could be due to aftermarket suspension. Check Audiworld.com and Audizine.com for more specifics on what to look for...been awhile since I followed the Audi trends too closely.

My '99 has 140K on the clock now and it's still ticking. Only thing I regret is the tiptronic transmission, but I bought the car to be a driver so it's acceptable. Been chipped since 70K miles and it's still on the origional turbo.

my car:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/audisig1.jpg

Andy

i do belive that Audi Addressed the Sludge Problem and will actully replace your engine for you if this does happen.. then it is hard to get this if your car has missed any of the certified warranty checkups.. any 1.8t you get i would say make sure there are records or they can at least be uptained before for purchase.

Guest powers
i do belive that Audi Addressed the Sludge Problem and will actully replace your engine for you if this does happen.. then it is hard to get this if your car has missed any of the certified warranty checkups.. any 1.8t you get i would say make sure there are records or they can at least be uptained before for purchase.

Nope they won't. I know becasue I replace my engine after I was told no.

Do not overboost the stock turbo! My friend blew his running 21psi with a chip, stage 3 clutch, exhaust, diverter valve.

+1 I think we know the same guy, if you want to push the boost pick up a turbo that can take it. Also "Auto Assets" is a columbus based shop that deals 99% with german cars only. I you dont do the work yourself or get a friend to do it go to them. I'm sure they can also help you with parts.

AudiOn19s, you up at NA high school alot? Your audi pic looks like its infront of my old highschool..

No...we used to live over there and I'd take the car up there for a nice background to shoot from.

We moved to the Polairs area about two years ago now....tells you how recent that photo is.

Andy

Search around on Audiworld.com for common problems.. I had a 99.5 1.8T Tip (like Audion19s) for about 3 years. Definitely had my share of problems, but it was a fun ride at the same time.

http://hometown.aol.com/morgan1774/images/audifs.jpg