Computer Build Help

BIG SHAFE

I have recently bought a bare bones deal from TigerDirect.com (couple months ago). I tried putting it together when I first got it but it wouldn't work at all. I finally have some time now to go back and try to figure whats wrong with it.

After I put it together it wouldn't seem to boot to the BIOS. Pressing the on or reset buttons had no effect. The only thing that would happen once you plug into outlet, a small green light would come on and the CPU fan would run. I also found out when I put the motherboard in I forgot to put in the standoffs to screw the motherboard into. So some of the solder was touching the case. I just assumed I fried the motherboard and bought another one, but this didn't fix the problem.

I'm also not sure on the small plugs that go on the mother board. The names on the plugs differ from that of the ones listed on the motherboard sheet. Maybe I am not matching the right ones up?

Here is a list of the plugs for things built into the case (usb/hd led/etc.):

Group 1: "power sw", white and blue wires into 2 prong female plug

Group 2: "usb", 7 wires into an 8 prong female plug

Group 3: "reset sw", white and blue wires into 2 prong female plug

"power led -", white wire into 1 prong female plug

"power led +", green wire into 1 prong female plug

"hdd led", white and red wires into 2 prong female plug

Group 4: "mic bias", yellow wire into 1 prong female plug

"speaker outl", white wire into 1 prong female plug

"speaker outr", turqoise wire into 1 prong female plug

"mic in", pink wire into 1 prong female plug

"ground", black wire into 1 prong female plug

"Return L", blue wire into 1 prong female plug

"Return R", gray wire into 1 prong female plug

Here is a link for the motherboard, for which you can see the prongs explained. Motherboard Info

I'm going to retry and match up the plugs again.

This is the second time I have put a computer together, before I took a guess at a motherboard going bad, got another one and it fixed the problem. So there might be little things I don't know about, so feel free to point anything you think is obvious that I may have missed.

Links:

CPU

Motherboard

Power Supply

Memory

Case

Also, from the 2 harnesses that come out of the power supply. The larger one I found has 2 leads when the computer is plugged in but not on. A green wire and a black wire both have 5V. The other 4 wire harness has no leads.

Their site won't load the page for the CPU for me. It may not matter b/c I suck at trying to put things together in my head. It definately sounds like somethings plugged in the wrong place or something that should be plugged in is not. It may be best to go one by one and verify all the leads from the PS to the MB are correct (not that you haven't already).

I had a similar issue with a Athalon 64 right after they came out. I put it all together from memory and never looked into the fact that with the 64 processor I needed to use one of the small leads from the PS that I never had used before (thought it was just more of the proprietary P4 leads). Once I plugged it in, boom - it worked great.

When I have problems like this, it always seems to be some small thing I have overlooked (although there have been some rare occasions I have had a dead HD or board..

step 1

remove all usb extrnal leads because the voltage can be wrong causein a no boot istuation

also check the bios jumper.

tiger direct and other companys leave the bios like that so when it comes the settings are cleared right away to avoid accidantal overclock or damage , that way the machine defaults to the Safe bios settings

so check the jumper it should be close the round battery and if that dont work unplug usb stuff

if u still have problems fgive me a call i will look at it for you i wont charge you or anything just bring me beer

Sounds like you didn't plug in a lead for the power. I did the same thing as twisted focus when I built my A64. Look at the top left of the board. There is a 4 pin power connector, make sure its plugged in. The computer won't boot without that power connector. It's an easy connector to miss.

Ok, dumbass me connected the leads wrong. I got it to boot up but it keeps turning itself off. I even got halfway into windows once, but it keeps turning itself off. Then I can't reboot for about a minute, press the button lights come on for a sec then beeps and turns off. Its weird.

I wouldn't think it would be an issue, but do you think it might be overheating? When you put the heatsink on, did you use compound (some heatsinks alread have a "blanket" on them and don't need it though)? Also, maybe the settings on the board might be incorrect for the processor making it run overclocked and overheating or becoming unstable? So, I'd probably watch the temps after it has been running for a while, although that might be hard to do without windows loaded. You can probably watch it in the BIOS, but you obviously won't be putting much load on it. Also verify the FSB and clock speed are correct.

Just throwing out random thoughts. That's the only other things I can think of right now.

The heatsink has some type of coating on it that mated right on to the processor. The processor can't be overheating. The heat sink is still cool to the touch when it shuts off. Plus the fan on it is working just fine.

How do I verify te right FSB (bus speed?) and clock speed are right? I think I can find it in the BIOS but its hard to get it to stay on long enough to save the changes.

I also reset the BIOS jumper, hoping it would clear anything, but it didn't seem to help.

How do I verify te right FSB (bus speed?) and clock speed are right? I think I can find it in the BIOS but its hard to get it to stay on long enough to save the changes.

In BIOS under the Advanced section. Usually Auto will work fine, but if the board has dipswitches for CPU Multiplier or CPU Integer that are set incorrectly, it may default to an improper speed, although in my experience the few times I have encountered this it defaulted to a lower speed than it should have rather than higher.

You might find recommended values in the paperwork for the CPU and try manually setting them in the BIOS just to be sure it's correct. Also, a lot of boards will display the clock speed when it posts (near the memory count). If it seems way off, you're on the right track. I kind of doubt this would be an issue, but it's worth a check, I guess.

Another random thing that just occurred to me. Maybe the power supply is flaky? Do you have another one laying around with the proper plugs that you can try? I only had a bad one once and had intermittent stability issues and shutoffs. That experience is what began my strict adherence to Antec cases and power supplies. Just another shot in the dark, but fairly easy thing to check/eliminate.

sounds like a problem with the RAM or some sort of compatibilty problem...i'd review your BIOS settings and look up your motherboards settings on their website...or just google your MB and look for some threads on parts ini your machine...you might find something useful.

the machine i'm on now...it took me 2 weeks to realize my RAM settings needed to be changed within my BIOS. i searched forever and finally found some people with the same symptoms.