Scooters being registered as mopeds

Lost

At work last week I heard a lady said she bought a new scooter and the place she bought it issued a title saying it was a moped. I asked here if it pedals like a bike, she said no, hmmmm. Mopeds are still supposed to be able to be pedaled like a bike right?

I am gonna visit the shop where she bought it and see if it is true. Then I will get the State highway patrol involved. I think it is Bullshit. She needs a motorcycle license, appropriate insurance and a helmet for the first year.

Your thoughts.

I would say... mind your own business. :dunno:

It's not like you're going to go out and buy a scooter just to get a break on moped insurance. So, why do you even concern yourself with it? You would've never known unless she told you.

Besides, you're not GAINING anything from being a legal tattletale on this issue, you're just costing someone else more money. She's already on a scooter, isn't that punishment enough? (Just playin' DRosso...:D)

...She's already on a scooter, isn't that punishment enough? (Just playin' DRosso...:D)

No harm done :D She must be on a little scooter :scooter:

I am intersted to know why it is this way though, I didn't think there were any scooters under 50cc

on the market that would be classified as a moped. Unless she just really has no idea what she is talking about.

ORC defines a moped as making under 1 brake hp, and having pedals (the motor under 50cc for assisted power only). So, per ORC, a moped has to have pedals to operate the machine. A true scooter has no pedals... so no scooter should be defined as a moped by law.

It probably is under the limits. Please let your friend know what the Ohio Revised Code rules of a "moped" actually are.

CHAPTER 4501: MOTOR VEHICLES -- DEFINITIONS; GENERAL PROVISIONS

4501.01 Motor vehicles definitions.

(L) “Motorized bicycle†means any vehicle that either has two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled, and that is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

4511.01 Traffic laws - operation of motor vehicles definitions.

© “Motorcycle†means every motor vehicle, other than a tractor, having a saddle for the use of the operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles known as “motor-driven cycle,†“motor scooter,†or “motorcycle†without regard to weight or brake horsepower.

(H) “Motorized bicycle†means any vehicle having either two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled and is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

4511.521 Operation of motorized bicycles.

(A) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle upon a highway or any public or private property used by the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking, unless all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The person is fourteen or fifteen years of age and holds a valid probationary motorized bicycle license issued after the person has passed the test provided for in this section, or the person is sixteen years of age or older and holds either a valid commercial driver’s license issued under Chapter 4506. or a driver’s license issued under Chapter 4507. of the Revised Code or a valid motorized bicycle license issued after the person has passed the test provided for in this section, except that if a person is sixteen years of age, has a valid probationary motorized bicycle license and desires a motorized bicycle license, the person is not required to comply with the testing requirements provided for in this section;

(2) The motorized bicycle is equipped in accordance with the rules adopted under division (B) of this section and is in proper working order;

(3) The person, if under eighteen years of age, is wearing a protective helmet on the person’s head with the chin strap properly fastened and the motorized bicycle is equipped with a rear-view mirror.

(4) The person operates the motorized bicycle when practicable within three feet of the right edge of the roadway obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles.

(B) The director of public safety, subject to sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code, shall adopt and promulgate rules concerning protective helmets, the equipment of motorized bicycles, and the testing and qualifications of persons who do not hold a valid driver’s or commercial driver’s license. The test shall be as near as practicable to the examination required for a motorcycle operator’s endorsement under section 4507.11 of the Revised Code. The test shall also require the operator to give an actual demonstration of the operator’s ability to operate and control a motorized bicycle by driving one under the supervision of an examining officer.

© Every motorized bicycle license expires on the birthday of the applicant in the fourth year after the date it is issued, but in no event shall any motorized bicycle license be issued for a period longer than four years.

(D) No person operating a motorized bicycle shall carry another person upon the motorized bicycle.

(E) The protective helmet and rear-view mirror required by division (A)(3) of this section shall, on and after January 1, 1985, conform with rules adopted by the director under division (B) of this section.

(F) Each probationary motorized bicycle license or motorized bicycle license shall be laminated with a transparent plastic material.

(G) Whoever violates division (A), (D), or (E) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

here we go, help from the Ohio DMV website on mopeds;

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/other-types.php

and an Ohio DMV list of the models considered mopeds;

In the case of manufacturers who market more than one model, only models listed below are approved by the State of Ohio. Only vehicles on this list may legally be operated as "mopeds" in Ohio.
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/misc/moped_info.htm

Apparently a moped still needs a plate on it, I didn't know that.

And it looks like... if it's not on the list, it's gonna be stuck riding around in the backyard. And I bet there's a law about that too... :D

Recon....very kind of you to do the research. That moped list is kinda dated honda hobbit, AMF roadmaster, hehehehehehe.

I have no real use for scooters, A women dumped her scooter in the motorcycle parking lot and knocked over two other bikes. At least she ended up with some stitches. She refuses to pay to repair the other bikes and one of they guys was contacted by administration and told to stop bothering her and forget it happened. He called LEO and since it happened on private property they cannot do anything, so he is stuck.

Interestingly, we have not seen her scooter since. Its just as well, I would have to decide whether or not to kick it over.

Geez, Lost... that just ain't right. On her part or the administration. And you can tell them I said so.

The correct thing to do:

Make a police report. (In the jurisdiction it happened in, at the local PD) Take pictures. Repair the motorcycle. Send her the bill. Have lawyer send letter requesting payment if no response. If lawyer thinks case is good to win, go to court. (Was there a witness, or admission of guilt in front of witnesses, etc) Or variations of the above.

The administration... well, it's none of their business. Also known as harassment in the work place. (Also requires, witness, e-mail, something, etc) I wonder what would have happened if her scooter had fallen over on HIS car! I'd say ask the State Attorney General's office, except they have their own problems right now. :D

Still could piss the Boss off royal tho, could even wind up looking for a new job. Fair warning. :(

Yep under 50cc equals MoPeD.

No not necessarily. Did you read the code posted by the other guy. Just because its under 50cc does not automatically make it a MOPED.

According to the bmv and orc it has to meet all three of these criteria...

- capable of being pedaled

- equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cc displacement

- capable of speed no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

So unless this thing has PEDALS it should be listed as a motorcycle.

No not necessarily. Did you read the code posted by the other guy. Just because its under 50cc does not automatically make it a MOPED.

According to the bmv and orc it has to meet all three of these criteria...

- capable of being pedaled

- equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cc displacement

- capable of speed no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

So unless this thing has PEDALS it should be listed as a motorcycle.

Dont correct me, it sickens me. - william Shatner:D:D:D

yeah you should read the flame i put up then took off cause i didnt take the time to read the whole thread.

so yes i was incorrect. but it is a different registration.

i just got pissed cause someone was going to RAT on another rider to the OHIO HIGHWAY PATROL cause some old lady wants to ride her UNDER 50CC scoot on highst. OK now you did it im PISSED

SNITCHES GET STICHES

I think there is a big gray zone between vehicles and toys. What is a mini-bike, or an electric car for the kids? What would we call a motorized skate board... a car? It's got four wheels. I think the problem solves itself, most of these cheap scoots won't last long, and aren't really repairable.