65-73 Mustang and Cougar Rear ends... 8" 9" Bearing size...help!!!

BDHG940

Hello,

We are working a few projects and trying to save us some time. We are trying to find out what rear ends came factory in those years and find out if they are the small or larger axle bearings. Does anyone know about this, I have spend so much time trying to research but cannot find many hard facts.

Any help will be appreciated or anywhere to look for this information. Basically just need to know the factory rear ends in those years as well as the bearing sizes.

Thanks a lot

8" = small bearing

9" = small bearing or larger(stock is like a 2.8" bearing, and some of the larger factory ones are 3.08 something and then theres the aftermarket 3.25 ones that have eiteher a 28 spline front pinoin or 35 spline also known as daytona pinoin bearing)

what are you tryying too do? that info would help a lot more.

Any tips also to what housing are used a lot and upgraded to would be nice also if you have any ideas. Im going with the thought that many would go with the 9" but I just have no idea what cars they would pull them out of and if they would be the large or small bearing. Just want to be prepared for this and get all the facts straight before we do much.

Thanks

ill post pics of the 2 different ends... your speaking of the outer axle bearings, theres small, big(new and old style) ..the small ones you can always spot, the axle tube itself gets smaller out by the bearing end(small bearing) and if the axle tube is 3" all the way out then you most likely have the large bearing, but looking at the flange is the only way too tell the differences... i'll post lots of info on this later on when im on my PC.....RR is not letting me on here much!!!!

I doubt he is talking about it but there also is the hipo rear end that is 8in tubes with 9in center

it not really hipo, more like a off beat 9... smooth rear cover , early 9 with the bootle neck tubes....I have one :p the early 9"s and most all 8"s have the small bearing flange, rest of them are old style 9"s, most all aftermarket 9"s are New style unless you have them built with old style flanges. like the 9" for my car.

but this will help you find out what you do have

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/diagram.gif