motor oils

superchevy72

we sell this gumout engine flush stuff, we put it in in place of the oil with a new filter and run for 5 minutes. its supposed to clean the shit out of your engine. wouldnt that be about the same as the seal problems when switching to synth? but weve never had a car come back with new leaks after the flush. also has anyone noticed when you buy a new cam, it says somewhere in there that your not supposed to use synth for the first 100 miles or so?

The flush is a chemical that you run for about 5 minutes before a change. Synthetic has detergents that work mile after mile... You may drive 2000 miles before leaks start to develop.

Did it come from the factory with synthetic?

Reason I ask:

When synthetics first started to come out, some guys at the shop tried it in brand new vehicles, and the rings never seated in properly due to the "slicker" nature of the synthetic oil.

Most of the change over issue is from the dirt that got into the seals and has been holding the dino oil in. If you engine is under 30K when you switch it should be a non issue.

This is actually a very valid question... Nobody's been able to get a straight answer from Honda. To the collective GH board knowledge, Mobil was the only company even making a 0W-20 until superchevy (Bill) told me about the Pennzoil, so the going theory was that Mobil gave Honda some rebadged oil, or it was some kind of synth/dino blend. From what you say, it sounds like I won't need to worry, as this weekend is my first oil change, coming in at a hair over 8k.

James: What about switching over causes seal damage?

Most synthetics can deteriorate older seals. If a seal has impregnation from natural oil, the synthetics can basically "flush" the seals away as dirt. Basically the old sludge and contamination are "holding" the seal together.