87 Mustang Problems

Guest Itsafast87lx

Guest Itsafast87lx
I've got a 87 Mustang LX 5.0 5spd with a charging problem. When we bought the car the charge meter was running low but not in the red. After driving it for a couple of weeks the needle went into the red and the battery light came on. We then changed the alternator, problem never changed. We then changed the battery, no change. Now the needle only shows the battery charge and as the battery goes down and adventually the car shuts off the alternator isn't working. We had the alt and the battery checked at the parts store, both are fine. I also checked the wiring to make sure there were no breaks. Also both the positive and negative battery cables have been checked. I even put a alternator from another guys car on it just to be sure. No charge. Any ideas?

Guest Itsafast87lx
i tried to check the ground but where does the alternator ground? There are two positive wires that are red and a green that i supposed to be ground but it carries 12 volts. Those wires are on the driver side around the ignition

you'll need a repair manual

1st check the wires right at the back of the alternator it should have to plugs one big and one small the bigplug is where the power comes out of the alternator the small plug goes into the voltage regualtor its is not uncommon for one or both of these plugs to go bad or even melt

one of the wires going to the voltage regulator is the turn on wire (this is where the repair manual comes in) it should have power with the key in the run posistion if it doesn't ohm out the wire to determine where it is broken. if the ohm reading is within spec (repair manual again) you may need to replace the ignition switch...

hth