Muffler/caliper questions

V8 Beast

So I have a flowmaster that I'm replacing for the 3rd time because of a loose baffle. Since I'm going to Norwalk Friday, and its going on a Trailor, should I just leave it off?? Or does the muffler weight on a TA help with traction?

I was also wondering if grinding down the calipers somewhat and using a small spacer is a better than grinding them until 15" wheels fit?

The grinding required to make a 15" fit is not that bad. It can be done with a air grinder and some sanding discs in about 30 mins a side taking the time to check your wheels a few times for fitment.

Or does the muffler weight on a TA help with traction?

Unless the muffler itself weighs 100 lbs. :) What suspension mods do you have? SFC's and an aftermarket TA will help in the traction department too if you haven't done them already.

Thats what I thought. A couple of local TA drivers said they took theirs off and had traction issues. I wanted to confirm they were wrong before doing it.

As far as suspension,

strut brace,

eibach springs,

Adjustable shocks

lower control arms

panhard bar.

and Im working on getting a torque arm

The grinding required to make a 15" fit is not that bad. It can be done with a air grinder and some sanding discs in about 30 mins a side taking the time to check your wheels a few times for fitment.

Yeah it took me about 45 minutes to do one caliper, but the wheel is still a tight fit. Thats why I'm wondering if I should just get a spacer before I have to grind down anymore of it.

Yeah it took me about 45 minutes to do one caliper, but the wheel is still a tight fit. Thats why I'm wondering if I should just get a spacer before I have to grind down anymore of it.

the wheels will also make a difference. I am getting ready to pull around an f body to put on the lift that I ground down the fronts on. I will try and snap a pic for ya to see how much I removed.

This car is running convo pros.

Thats what I thought. A couple of local TA drivers said they took theirs off and had traction issues. I wanted to confirm they were wrong before doing it.

As far as suspension,

strut brace,

eibach springs,

Adjustable shocks

lower control arms

panhard bar.

and Im working on getting a torque arm

Yeah, definately get a TA and get SFC's too since I see you didn't list them with your suspension mods. They both will do good to aiding in traction.

I would keep shaving. If you already have a tight fit that means you're getting close. Maybe just a little more will do the trick.

Greg, you have a PM.

now YOU have a PM.

yeah, when I said connectors I was talking about sub frame connectors.... unless you mean something else by sfc. I actually ordered some 6 months ago. They were not delivered so I said forget it... Back then I was only at 350rwhp too, so I wasnt as focused on suspension mods.

a stock cat back is 50 pounds. some aftermarket ones are more.

So a flowmaster with 3" pipes in, and 3" exhaust tips will weigh in somewhere around 60lbs.

If I take out the back seats.. the window washing fluid.. run on an 1/8 tank of gas.. run 15" skinnys and slicks I could take enough weight off of the car to make a difference.

yeah, when I said connectors I was talking about sub frame connectors.... unless you mean something else by sfc.

I thought you were referring to something else when you said connectors. Yes I meant sub frames...lol my bad.

I thought you were referring to something else when you said connectors. Yes I meant sub frames...lol my bad.

its cool..... side note - every time I hear about subframes I think about this video on youtube.. its old but its hilarious

"ma subframes f-ed up so I cant slam it" LOL!!