Intercooler Question

HAOLE

I know I will get flamed for this, but I will ask anyhow.....

Has anyone used any of the intercoolers from e-bay? If so, what are your impressions?

I kills me to spend $1400 on a greddy unit when I can fab the kit except for the intercooler it self, saving about $1000.

the main problem is the end tanks blowing apart under boost. i agree that if you pay 1400 for a hks unit your stupid. some of that is just a import fee and the rest is just cause its hks, the actual intercooler is about 400 bucks. i would suggest looking arround and do what he said try ips maybe they get a good deal from precison or someone like that. a little fab work is worth saving money. and maybe you will be buying a american made part and save someones job here in america.

I like my little Ebay cooler (shown in the mockup phase of the Tempo build), and it was about $135 shipped from streetimports.com. When it's running, the difference in temp between the inlet & outlet sides is considerable. It's a "bar & plate" type, with fins inside the tubes. Very efficient, and low restriction for my little HSC. The Eaton M62 is visible next to the "rad", simulated in cardboard.

The next phase will be an M90, with more motor work. I'll need a bigger cooler, but this one is fine for what I plan to run at this point.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4390/ebayiczz3.jpg

i picked up a 12x24x4 one from ebay, works great.

i cut off one endcap and flipped it welded it so it would be top inlet, bottom exit to utilize more of the core.

IAT were pretty good, think they only got up to 120* on a 95* day, at about 15psi

the endcaps are welded on there pretty good so i doubt the'll burst.

friend of mine with a supercharged ls1 is running 9.4's @14X with it (without the endcaps flipped)