Odd Sound

GRN96WS6

I have an odd sound coming from my engine bay and to me it sounds like a bearing or something going out. I have a video of it that I will post at the end of this thread. It doesn't really go up and down with the RPM's which is odd and kind of throwing me off as to what it is, maybe you guys have an idea. Hopefully I posted this in the correct forum.

I have two videos the first one is the sound in the engine, sorry for the two brief pauses I was using an unfamiliar camera and it apparently took pics while I was taping.

(This is the engine sound)

Righ click save as

This is what the exhaust sounds like, and NO I don't have cams! :eek2:

Righ click save as

It isn't sluggish or anything either so I'm really lost as to what the noise is or where its coming from other then I know it's the left side of the engine.

Ahh you have the N/A SR20 Motor.

The cars have notorious top end oiling issues. Unless the owners were meticulous about changing the oil, the oil "tubes" clog up rather easily. There are a couple hollow metal "tubes" with small holes in them. They ride along the top of the cam's in the head.

With poor oil changes these tiny holes get clogged very easily. Leading to severe wear of the cam lobes ect. Dad saw one soo bad once that the cams didn't have enough lift to open the valves. They were practically wiped clean.

This is the best I could do on short notice:

Hopefully you can see the oiling tubs/ lines. You may want to pop the cam cover and check the head out.

http://www.columbusht.com/sr20.jpg

http://www.sr20forum.com/archive/index.php/t-88199.html

Has some visual aids/ information.

You may want to read on about x year and x tensioner.

I know the the oil fed/ hydraulic tesnioner was updated at some point.

Some choose to remove the upper tensioner completely. Others remove and install theupdated tensioner.

I don't have the time to read for complete specs but that forum should be useful.