Computer ? - please HELP!

Boost-n-Juice

Ok, I'm on my last nerve here and the bottle of Goose is empty, so I'm extra pissed!

Ok, I'm trying to install the Windows XP service pack 2, this is on the Home Edition, v.5.1 It keeps telling to that FTP.exe is in Open or In use by another program. According to task mgr ftp.exe is not running. No programs are running for that matter. How do I turn ftp.exe off? I tried doing, Start>Run>ftp and nothing happens and I can't figure how to get to C:\windows in MS Dos.

Any ideas?

There is no MS-DOS, XP is 2K based.

Start -> Run -> msconfig

Look at the startup tab for this ftp.exe and kill it if it exists. It could be a 3rd party program, or maybe the browser task for IE to allow you to download via FTP (File Transfer Protocol).

If it's 3rd party, run anti-spyware and see if it picks it up and removes it. If it's an integrated part of IE, try going into Services in your Control Panel and setting the FTP task to "manual" or "disabled", then run the SP2.

Ok, I disabled everything in msconfig>startup and I get the same thing. I actually do have the disc. I changed my boot priority to boot from D: drive first, but it doesn't. When booting up it says Boot from D: drive, it does that twice and then just loads XP as usually. I feel like an idiot, why is life so hard? ;-) I hate Bill Gates, he is the devil.

F8 FTW...but then my internet wouldn't work after the update. According to my Network Connections, I am connected but IEX says otherwise. WOW says they don't have a fix for me and to remove the SP2.

So, after another 2 hours wasted I'm back to SP1. This disk was given to me by a friend and it may be an old version of SP2, one that I hear was jacked up originally. All I know is Bill Gates just got $3.29 from me to ship out the current SP2. Cheap bastard.

This better work! Argh!!! )(&@#&)(@$^#^$^#+*)@@!_)

actually, pressing F8 during POST wont do anything, you have to do it after POST is over, and the computer is actually booting windows.

You are correct that F8 during post wont do a damn thing, but just because you decided to point out the flaw in my wording, I will point out yours. The keystroke actually register after the POST, but just before windows begins to load. If you wait until your PC is actually loading windows, F8 will not do a damn thing.

Now, try explaining how to hit the F8 key just before windows starts loading and just after POST finishes over the internet. The person will probably miss it every time. Jabbing the F8 key during post (and after) will ensure it catches at the right time, which is why I said that. :p

Very pertinent to this thread though, I will give you that.:o

F8 FTW...but then my internet wouldn't work after the update. According to my Network Connections, I am connected but IEX says otherwise. WOW says they don't have a fix for me and to remove the SP2.

So, after another 2 hours wasted I'm back to SP1. This disk was given to me by a friend and it may be an old version of SP2, one that I hear was jacked up originally. All I know is Bill Gates just got $3.29 from me to ship out the current SP2. Cheap bastard.

This better work! Argh!!! )(&@#&)(@$^#^$^#+*)@@!_)

It is available as a DL from the microsoft website, but it may take a while to find.