94 saturn sl2

87GT

I was going to look at buying a 94 saturn sl2 manual tomorrow with almost 142K miles. I just want it for a beater in the winter. The price is right so it is worth my time.

I have never had a saturn before. Anyone know of any issues with this model and year? Or anything I should look at when I go see it tomorrow?

you should be ok as long as you give it a general once over.

the only real problem ive had with the early sattys had was with the SOHC engine. bad on head gaskets. but with a DOHC you should be good to go.

Thanks for looking out

Guest Removed

timing chain and guides may or may not go out, depending on if they have been done before . and if you smoke the tires alot , like we did....the diff cross pin will break and most likely will put a hole in the trans case..

the one jeff had , was the only one i could ever get too bark the tires going into 3rd.

You will hear the timing chain rattle if the tensioner is loose. It is unmistakeable. The tensioners operate with oil pressure. When the pressure is low, or the level is low, they will rattle. If the oil level is coprrect and you hear the rattle, run!

The upper torque axis motor mounts are rubber, and are notorious for collapsing. If the engine can be rocked front to back easily, or the car vibrates at idle, it's the mount. Cheap and easy fix.

Thay had a few problems with pourous block castings back then. The fix was a ginger pellet in the coolant to seal them up. Do not be suprised if the bottom of the coolant cap has a little "mud" on it. That is the pellet.

Gearhead is correct. You can also throw the diff pin through the trans case if you try to rock the car out of a ditch or snow bank by going back and forth between Drive and Reverse.

BTW. I was the Service Manager at a Saturn Dealership from '95 to '05.

Sorry to threadjack, but I have a '97 SL1 SOHC/5spd beater that I've had for a little over a year now. It is about to turn 200k miles. I'm amazed at how solid everything about the car feels. Were there any issues with the SOHC motor other than the above mentioned hg issue, or anything else to look out for? I intend to keep this thing until it dies.

Like I said though, mine has been unbelievably reliable. I beat the hell out of it every chance I get, no lift shifting and all. If you can get this one for a good price I'd say go for it.