Clutch upgrade WRX

thorne

I really don't like the current clutch and how it grabs. I have no slipping but i swear it feels and has felt since i got it as if it was going out. I would ike to head this off at the pass.

1. Is this a Diffcult swap if so how hard and how long.

2. What would it cost to pay someone or someplace to do it.

3. While in there is there anything else that should be changes I would love new Syncros I feel like its a bitch to get into forth.

Guest GMoney
its not to bad to do, just remove IC and piping, starter, clutch pivot pin, front suspension and axles, rear drive shaft and guard, shifter, center trans support and mount, all wires to trans, exhaust, and unbolt from motor. I have do this so many times on friends WRX rally car it can be completed in under 2 hours no lift and one man. i might be forgetting something and there maybe things that i remove just to get access and i also dont want to damage them.

Replacing the stock clutch with something that grabs better has been shown to be much rougher on transmissions. In fact, every "my tranny went boom" thread on clubwrx and nasioc usually have aftermarket clutches on the car.

Well Maybe I will just put in a stock clutch eather way I feel as if the current one wants to give up the ghost. gmoney that sounds like a hard job. I am going to ask around in family and see if anyone would help me if not I will call rob. All the work hes ever done has been top notch.

Would it be easier to do a uppipe/downpipe swap at that point?

Guest Removed
go to rob (gearhead). they "can do it". first link in his sig. there beat ya to it. = p

yeah what he said....

bill,none of this would be done in my drive way. best done at the shop, i can get it done faster that way. let me get back there and check.

Guest Removed

Would it be easier to do a uppipe/downpipe swap at that point?

YES...

get the uppipe kit. gutting the converter would take all afternoon, and cant legally be done :rolleyes:

and go with a after market clutch dummy. stock replacement isnt going to handle what you want too do. talk to others that have upgraded there clutch, and get there opinions on the one they bought.

gutting the converter would take all afternoon, and cant legally be done

and would be very risky. one piece gets left in there and decides to break loose, guess what, no more turbo. seriously, get the up pipe in. with the tranny out, an up pipe and down pipe would be much more easily accomplished. ask tinman and eli, it was a pain in the ass when we did mine.

Kid gets new wrx for birthday

Kid sees streetfire videos of wrx 6500rpm clutch dumps

Monkey see monkey do

Kid gets stepdad's credit card to replace his melted clutch for racewarz one

Tranny blows up

Don't launch it like Colin McCray (sp) and he'll be fine

i have over 1200 posts on clubwrx and 500 on nasioc...There are numerous threads about aftermarket clutches and trans. Just passing on some helpful info.

If your willing to spend the extra money for an aftermarket clutch on the stock tranny be prepared to buy another tranny as well.

Guest Removed
and would be very risky. one piece gets left in there and decides to break loose, guess what, no more turbo. seriously, get the up pipe in. with the tranny out, an up pipe and down pipe would be much more easily accomplished. ask tinman and eli, it was a pain in the ass when we did mine.

even if one small peice is in there, wouldnt it go out the muffler?

the cat is on the dump side isnt it?(cant remember at the moment, too many cars, so little time)

Uppipe is a pita, I have done 2, austin was there with me on the second one which was Heath's old car. Do not gut it, Orion is spot on. the uppipe is like $100 and bolts in, hell you may be able to get a used STI uppipe which has no cat for cheaper. Quit posting here and read Nasioc, there is more info there than here and you can use the fucking search feature!

+1 about the 02-03 tranny, if you replace the clutch with aftermarket, better invest in some type RA cryo gears, otherwise it will be a matter of time with you driving. :)

Guest Removed
the up pipe is before the turbo. one cat there. then there are two cats, a resonator, and a muffler after the turbo. worst exhaust evar! thats why a full exhaust will net you anywhere from 25 to 45 hp AT THE WHEELS on a wrx.

figure those dummys would put one in the up pipe...

thats just dumb.

Guest Removed
Spaceghost info taken and noted.

Well anyways clutch replacement, Cost involved. and if i wanna stay stock clutch would i just need a pressure plate then?

I am going to just buy the up and down

even on a stock replacement, get the kit, hell the disc my be worn out on one side. no sense in doing it twice.