Transmission fluid changing shops

Tractor

I am going to get my transmission fluid changed soon in my 2005 Tacoma and since on that model vehicle I can't actually do it correctly myself I want to take it somewhere that will actually do it. I do about all work on my cars myself and don't really trust anyone else to do an honest job or do a correct job. Anyone know anywhere that would do it right? Its a sealed transmission and from what they say on the tacoma web sites there is an actual program mode that the computer needs to run through during a fluid change.

Evan

I checked the factory manual on the toyota auto 6sp trans and it looks like the programming stuff is actually just a couple pins that get jumpered to set the transmission into "trans fluid temp check mode" which is then displays on the dash indicator lights and basically lets you know when its at the proper temp to check the fluid levels. I could probably do it myself, but if I can have it totally flushed by a shop that won't rip me off I'd do it. I trust the people that responded so far 500% more than I'd trust any dealer or unknown shop to actually do what they say they did. How would I know they did it? I get to sit in a waiting room or go for a walk in the mall while they charge me for something. I just don't like that idea very well. I've had service guys more than once try to sell me a new battery claiming my car wouldn't start very well when they tried to pull into the bay and then when I said I wasn't interested I went to my car, tried to start it and sure enough it wouldn't start. Well since I"m a technical person I usually go back in and tell them my car won't start, ask them what they did to it and then we go back out together and I pop the hood and show them that they loosened my batter cable. Very cute trick and then I usually get back in and go home.

That happened to my wife twice and me once over the years. Each time it was the loose battery cable trick.

Evan

Guest Removed

ford has the same setup, basiclly you watch trans temps on the scantool, while its running, so you can top off the trans.(fill plug is in the pan, no more dipstick)

I hate that stupid shit like that(battery cable BS you speak of), i refuse to work at a shop like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 94zoffroad
If you dont take it to a dealer, make sure whoever changes it puts the correct fluid in. i work at a dealer, and weve had a lot of cars come in that have just had the fluid changed somewhere else that have had the wrong fluid put in them.