Buying seized motor...

exSRAaron

Just wondering if you can un-seize (he said the crank is seized) and rebuild a dirtbike motor. It's a '00 XR100 4 stroke. I dont know much about dirt bike motors so I thought I'd ask you guys...any advice is appreciated thanks.

Aaron

Edited by exSRAaron

There is no telling what all is wrong with until you tear it apart..

Why does he think its the crank... It may be something not nearly as bad or something worse then what he thinks

Honestly I'm not sure...he said it seized this summer and he doesnt wanna mess with it.

Or, it could have split the crank. That'll seize the motor...

XR/CRF 100s are bullet proof. I know, I owned one and ran the living piss out of it and ran it under severe conditions. They'll hold up if maintained.

He didn't. apparently. I'd say the motor's toast and you'll be looking at probably $500 to get anew one and more than that to rebuild the seized one.

In other words, $200 sounds fair enough, but realize you can buy one for about $1000. You'd save maybe $300 at the end. And then there's the whole what your labor is worth.

My suggestion? Buy it and tear it open. Lord knows you won't hurt it any. Might be something easy. Most likely it isn't just rings... It's a piston failure where it could be valves are toasted, piston is busted in there, rod broke, crank broke - etc., etc.

Here's a running one and at a price that is about average:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___Honda-xr-100_W0QQitemZ200268533373QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200268533373&_trkparms=72%3A1187%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

So, you'd pay $200 for the non running one and $500 for a running motor. I'd pass now that I have looked at it...

thanks lizard...I really only need a motor but he said he'd sell the whole thing for 200, i havent tried offering less or anything yet. But if you think the motor is a total lose then ill prolly pass on it and keep looking..

basically I'm going to very likely swap in a XR100 motor into my NSR50. Like Brian did!

thanks lizard...I really only need a motor but he said he'd sell the whole thing for 200, i havent tried offering less or anything yet. But if you think the motor is a total lose then ill prolly pass on it and keep looking..

basically I'm going to very likely swap in a XR100 motor into my NSR50. Like Brian did!

If you were buying it for the motor, I would definately pass on it...

As for the NSR swap, why not the 150? Or, a TTR 125 motor. Better choices as the XR motor is very heavy compared to HP it puts out. Hell, wanna do something really cool? Do the CRF150 MX motor or do an 85 CR motor... That would put ya ahead of the mini guys!

Just an FYI.. If he did something similar to what happened to me, then he may think its the motor when its just the transmission. I scalded a gear to the axle shaft and it acted the a similar way as what a seized motor would... If he doesnt know engines all that well then he may not have an idea of what actually happened

Edited by flounder

Well I wanna be able to race in both F2 and F3 classes next season. And the limit for F3 is 100cc 4 stroke I believe..i like 4 stroke power a little more ;) im lazy

What, they tear you down? Doubtful most of those guys even bring the proper tools to do such a thing let alone spec your engine for size...

I'd run a 150 4 stroke and call it a day.