Graphics card.

Guest Mushijobah

Guest Mushijobah
I have an AGP motherboard. I want a PCI express because I guess it is the cool thing to do these days, and most new g-cards are for them. Is it even worth swapping?

x800 series for the win, it will do just fine.

That's not considered mid-range anymore, I don't think.

Are you a graphics whore or is performance all that matters? I'd get a x1300 or x1600 ATi card or a nVidia equivalent. You can get some of those for around a $100 and some even less.

Better question is, "What is your current graphics card?" If it's anything in nVidia's 6000 series, ATI's x1000 series, or higher, then it's not worth the swap. Anything you can throw at it these days, it'll play with a minimum of fuss. The 6800OC that was in my old gaming computer wasn't even breaking a sweat when I'd be running two instances of EVE with all the bells and whistles turned on. Unless you've got a dog (nVidia 4000/ATI 8000 or older), I'd suggest waiting until at least the first Vista service pack is out and DX10 games start getting released before you start laying money down.

What is it considered now? I'm still running an ABIT x800 pro 512 card (about 2 years old now i think) and no game I have played has spit me lower then a 75 frame rate. games like Source mods, FEAR, Condemned, Far Cry, battlefield, call of duty etc.

Geforce FX 5200 128 MB. This plays all games I have thrown at it except Fear. Fear rapes my card. In the butt. Is it pretty simple swapping a motherboard out?

It's nothing dfficult, but if you've never done it before it might be a bit tricky. Just remove everything else in the case first. Also, a sempron 3000+ is really not a gaming processor. If you're going to swap to a new mobo, you might as well upgrade the procesor. You can get a socket AM2 dualcore for just over $100, and a midrange card for $100-$150. I'm sure you can get a mobo for under $100.

It's nothing dfficult, but if you've never done it before it might be a bit tricky. Just remove everything else in the case first. Also, a sempron 3000+ is really not a gaming processor. If you're going to swap to a new mobo, you might as well upgrade the procesor. You can get a socket AM2 dualcore for just over $100, and a midrange card for $100-$150. I'm sure you can get a mobo for under $100.

You can get AMDx2 + mobo combos for around 150ish I believe. Just look around newegg.com

I have an 850xt agp. It roxors.

I believe there were some 850xt pci-e cards on sale for around 170ish at Microcenter. It seems the pci-e cards are cheaper then the agp cards nowadays. Agp is nearly phased out already.

I'll be looking at a 1800xt crossfire card here soon for my new setup. 4800x2 Am2 goodness.

Dont feel too outdated :)

<- 9800 Pro 256 flashed to XT

I also had a 3000 plus which I think crapped out, but I am not sure, so I downgraded to my spare processor which is a 2600 plus. I dont like to spend money, which is why I try to use old things in more creative ways, like overclocking.

He'll need new memory for an AM2 board. His older memory won't fit (he'll need DDR2/800 in most cases, though he could use 667 mhz to save a few dollars at the expense of speed).

I might have a single core XP3800+ for sale soon. I built the machine and got a bad mother board. When I finally got the board fixed (after arguing with Asus), I'd bought a computer to use. I'm still using it (the one I bought), and the new machine is sitting. The processor probably has less than 10 hours on it, it's a socket AM2. I'm going to put a dual core in that machine when I finally decide to start using it again.