Subaru owners

Buck531

I have a few questions regarding say 00-03 model Subaru's. Preferrably the Legacy (and wagon). I found a few on auto trader in my price range. EVERY one has awd right? How is the longterm reliabilty of these cars? Anything to look for specifically?

What I don't want to hear is "holy shit, they're great in the snow". I already know this. This would be for my wife, not me. I'm just trying to get a feel for the car and the reliability of it.

Are parts expensive to replace? Are they a nightmare to work on labor wise.

Stuff like that :).

Yes, all Subaru's are AWD. I have a 99 Legacy. I know you want info on 00 +, but the only difference is looks and they changed the dash, and small features. I shopped mine for almost 4 month's before I found the one I have. Here are some of the things I ran into. Almost all were over 100K miles and still going for $12500. Finding a 5 speed in good shape was like having a winning lottery ticket. 90% of the ones I could find were auto. Mechanically; I've heard one thing on the 2.5 GT engine. The head gaskets go. And when they do, it cost a ton. I heard this from one person in the car industry and trust what he says. Yet, I have never heard it on a board or anywhere else. I know the 3 times I have gone to Buyer's to help other people buy cars, they always ask for me to trade in. reliability; I run mine about as tough as most people drive a 4x4 pick up. I'm a maintenance freak and very particular with the car. I have not had any big issues in any way. I had a code for misfire on cylinder 4. The code went away the next day, but still going to change plugs and wires. I recommend the Legacy to everyone for a daily driver. Next month will make my second trip to Vermont in this car. This trip is planned to exceed 2800 miles in 5-6 days. Ok, I'm done.

My dad has an 01 outback 5 spd (yeah they make outbacks in mt) he absolutely loves it. The head gasket did pop at around 135,000 miles but other than that the car has been rock solid. I believe theres a service bulletin about the head gasket issue and that it's caused by one of the head studs not staying torqued properly. Also if you're looking at subies make sure that the valve covers aren't leaking, they're more leak prone than the majority of cars and can be somewhat expensive to fix as the covers are a total beyatch to get to.