Lathe, Mill Help

Guest Ponyfreak

Guest Ponyfreak

I am looking to purchase a nice two in one machine Lathe and mill. I need the ablility to turn 6" diameter aluminum pieces that are 2" long and able to cut threads.

I have seen something simular to what I am looking for a Harbor freight, but am sure that is a POS.

Anyone have any suggestions to a quality two in one unit?

Thanks

Most all the mill/drill/lathe combos are made in China. Harbor freight just happens to be cheaper than most and you don't have to pay freight. If you just need to turn small stuff and cut threads, you might be better off with a used small lathe. If you're set on the combo - the Harbor Frieght piece will probably hold a pretty fair tolerance in aluminum.

I have a Homier Mini Mill and Mini Lathe (same thing as the Harbor Freight's....just different).

They have their limitations, but AL is WELL within them.

The machines need a little bit of love and refinement to get them running well, but for the price...they are AWESOME!

BTW - I would stay away from a Combo unit. It does neither Milling, or Lathe Cutting well ;)

KillJoy

PS - Spend the most you can, and get the largest one you have space for. If you think "I'll never need one that big"....think again.

Enco (http://www.enco.com) has deals on machines on a regular basis. For the price, the Imports are not bad machines.

There are Machine Tool auctions, where you can pick up a full size Bridgeport, but the weight and size makes transportation and setup a bitch.

Also....I know some schools have been killing their Machine Shop classes. A bud picked up a 30" Southbend for about $750 w/ an ass load of tooling. So....keep your eyes open in the Classifieds :thumbup:

KillJoy

You can try grizzly.com. They are in Muncy, PA. Also in town try industrialmachinery.com They have new and used in all types of equipment. That is where i bought my Bridgeport from. They always have several lathes and vertical mills in stock at all times.

My budget is open. Like most other conscience comsumers, I am looking for the cheapest quality unit out there.

Looks like I will stay away from the combo units.

I have been involved with machine tools all of my life. Here is my advice...

1. Look for an older unit, they are better built! For example the bridgeport mills from the 1940's will outlast a brand new one. Most of the mills made after the 1970's went to a thin wall casting, that made the machine lighter than before. They are susceptible to chatter in the piece, due to not being able to absorb the vibration.

2. Old Chinese machine are junk. They quality of the castings are not good. The materials they are made of are cheap. If you find an old (1980 or earlier) Chinese mill or lathe I will almost guarantee they will need to be reworked. The ways are most likely shot. On the other hand the newer Chinese stuff is as good as anything else being produced.

3. Go find an old Southbend or Lablond lathe, and an old bridgeport mill. Then spend a couple of bucks to have my dad check it out. He will be able to tell you if it is worth anything. Just because someone threw a coat of paint on it does not mean the machine will hold tolerance.

Good luck

OK - if you want to go big - I still have my big & heavy Lodge & Shipley Lathe and my Index Vertical mill for sale (plus tooling for both). Moving date is coming up so I've got to do something. Give me a call if you're interested.

Got any pics?

Here you go...

Lathe link:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/267722974.html

Mill Link:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/271407001.html

Prices negotiable - I also have a tool sharpener and a single plane balancer and bunches of tooling. Moving March 21st and don't have the room. Come take a look and I'll make you a deal on a pile of stuff!