Coil Pack???

Sully

A friend of mine has a 98 TA. She said that the Coil Pack on her car needs replaced. I've heard this term before, but for some reason can't picture in my mind what the heck it is. Can someone tell me what it is and where it's at? I looked in the Haynes Manual and can't find it in the index.

Thanks,

Sully

http://www.smpcorp.com/markImage0.aspx?img=UF192.jpgLooks like this x8 on the top of each bank of cylinders (one for each plug-4 per bank). Probably in Haynes/Chilton as "Ignition Coil". The term "coil pack" is more applicable to earlier systems where you had a coil with multiple cylinders fired from a common coil or "pack". These usually fired 2/4/6 cylinders out of one part. More and more we are now going to an individual coil for each cylinder.

These are usually easy to diagnose on '96 up cars with a scan tool. Just need to look for the misfiring cylinder and then check the coil KV's. THe "prefered" course of action is to replace them in a set - but you can do them individually, over and over and over again until all eight get done.

How many miles on the current plugs and wires? Did she recent go through an auto car wash?

It's very rare for a coil pack to go bad but it can happen. If she has a lot of miles on the plugs and wires (50k+), replace those first.

If it still does it, then it needs scanned to find out which one is bad, I can help with that if needed.

Bill

Ok. Cool. Thanks guys. I thought they were those things on the spark plugs, but she said the "coil pack" needed replaced. I guess I'll have to ask her if she knows which one. I don't know if she got it scanned or not and I don't know how she knows that it needs replaced. I'll try to get more info from her and then post back here if needed. Thanks again!!

-Mike