Anyone ever lose friends?

El Karacho1647545492

I guess I've been lucky enough to have been able to say that up til now, I'd never lost a friend in a particularly tragic way. I've known people that died at a young age, or been loosely associated with someone who has, but the other night a couple people I know died in a fire at BU.

http://www.bu.edu/phpbin/news-cms/news/?dept=4&id=43683&template=4

I know there's a lot of more experienced guys and girls on this board who have had more than 19 years to contemplate the value of a life, but to anyone who has never experienced a loss, I hope this can put some perspective on it.

You come to a realization that after so many years, you won't see your grandparents or parents or uncles and aunts. They're older than you. But there must be some embedded bond between friends, even casual friends, that makes you feel like they'll always be there as long as you are because you're both young and healthy. The feeling of loss and the void of someone not being there because of something as simple as an accidental fire is so overwhelming.

Make as many friends as you can in this lifetime. It's special enough to have a few people that can really understand you, but when stuff like this happens you don't want to be alone to deal with it. I know I wasn't particularly close to these people, but a few of my friends knew them very personally and the few times we'd met, they were genuinely good people. I guess the good really do die young.

My mom passed at 60, just a few days before I graduated high school. Losing loved ones is never easy, especially the best of friends/family that served as a mentor or a strong emotional support, some even do both. I hope this doesn't get you too down Alex, there are good reasons why bad things happen, it is a shitty consolation, but a true one at that.

i've lost a few guys i raced with from crashed that the ended up dieing from, not close friends yet fellow races i battled with and hung out at the track with sometimes. you don't really realize how easy life can be taken away from you till something bad happens

One of my best friends was killed in a car crash a few years after graduation.. He joined the Air Force, drove home from Oklahoma to surprise his dad for his b-day. On the way back home, his wife fell asleep, wrecked and he was thrown from the car, killing him.

back in Jr high I had a friend that had a blood disorder. During one of many transfusions he got a bad batch of blood and was infected with HIV.

I didn't know he was infected until he passed but to watch it get sicker and sicker as time went was really sad and hard to deal with.

My best friend was killed, he was only 19. Some of oyu might remember him.. He was from Dublin.

A UK student was struck and killed by a train early yesterday morning after running from police at an off-campus party - marking the second straight year a student has died the day before fall semester.

Thomas Joseph Byers III, an English sophomore, died trying to cross the railroad tracks near the Virginia Avenue overpass before an oncoming train passed.

Byers, 19, and another subject were among what police estimated to be a crowd of 200 to 300 students partying on the 100 block of Conn Terrace around 1:20 a.m.

UK police officers were trying to clear the street when they approached the two men, who were holding alcoholic beverages, said Maj. Joe Monroe at a press conference yesterday.

Monroe said the subjects "threw down their drinks" and began to run once police asked them questions aimed at determining their ages. Officers caught the first suspect, but soon lost sight of Byers after he crossed Press Avenue.

"Apparently this was a situation where the officers felt the subject needed to be taken into custody for his own protection," Monroe said in response to a question about Byers.

Police gave Byers' acquaintance a citation for alcohol intoxication, but declined to press further charges due to the circumstances, Monroe said. Police will not release that suspect's name until later, he added.

After searching for Byers for three or four minutes, UK police received a call from Norfolk Southern Railroad that a train had hit a person on the tracks behind the Holiday Inn Express on Export Street. Officers involved in the initial encounter identified the individual as Byers.

He was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple blunt force trauma injuries less than one hour after the initial encounter with police, according to a Fayette County coroner's report.

Byers, a former member of the UK track team, transferred to the University of Mississippi last year after his family moved from Dublin, Ohio, to Germantown, Tenn. He later decided to return to UK.

"I know he was extremely excited to get back and come to Kentucky," said Nick Reeves, a member of the track team who ran with Byers in high school and at UK. "When we found out he was coming back, we all were ecstatic."

Reeves, who had known Byers since the first grade, said the two of them would often exercise together.

"You get to know a lot about someone over an 8-mile run," he said. "He made me realize what it was like to have a friend who is always there for you."

Even after transferring to Ole Miss, Reeves said he would receive a call from Byers nearly every day. The two typically chatted about running and other events in each other's lives.

"It was a huge shock, and I really still can't believe it," Reeves said. "I just talked to him (Monday).

"I can't even believe I'll never be able to talk to him again."

Byers is the second student to die in an off-campus accident involving underage drinking the day before fall semester began. At this time last year, 19-year-old sophomore Brian Muth was hit and killed by a tractor-trailer on New Circle Road after being released from the Fayette County Jail. Police had arrested him and charged him with alcohol intoxication.

Currently, Monroe said UK police is working with Lexington police and state authorities to crack down on off-campus, underage drinking. He said the officers involved in the accident were among a group designated to patrol and cut down on underage drinking on campus and streets near campus.

"This is a time of year where you have a lot of parties," Monroe said. "We have our specialized officers who will be out looking for that."

Monroe spoke with Byers' father several times yesterday. "The whole family's very shocked," Monroe said.

Phone calls to the Byers home were not returned yesterday.

Rutherford Funeral Home in Worthington, Ohio - minutes from Byers' hometown - is handling the funeral arrangements. Details of those plans haven't been determined yet, said Shea Titlow, a deputy coroner for Fayette County.

I still have a rough time dealing with it. Its been 2 years and whenever I hear or see a train I get goosebumps and I remember my friend.

Hope all gets better for you soon!

Lost a very good friend of mine in a motorcycle accident.

I'm sure some of you heard about it. 22 years old, God. It still feels like it was yesterday.

Police: No Evidence Supports Motorcycle Was In Hit-And-Run

Man Thrown From Motorcycle

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A man died Thursday night after the motorcycle he was riding on crashed.

The incident occurred at about 8:30 p.m. along the westbound lanes of Interstate 670 at Fourth Street, police said.

Investigators first said that a minivan collided with the motorcycle before leaving the scene of the crash. Police later issued a news release saying that there was little information and a lack of evidence to support that allegation.

Dennis L. Finley III, of Hilliard, died in the crash. Police did not release Finley's age in the news release.

According to police, the motorcycle was traveling at a high speed and went out of control.

The ramp from Interstate 71 southbound to I-670 westbound was closed during the investigation.

My past seems to be plauged with loss of friends and of loved ones. I'll tell you one thing, time just can't seem to heal the lose of a family member or close friend. It's something I'll carry for the rest of my life.

I had a couple friends commit suicide during high school. They weren't my closest friends, but it hits you hard. Much more recently my friend Deontae died in a motorcycle crash. There was a thread on here about it, he died on schrock rd right over 71. And tonight I'm sitting here with my dog who will probably be put to sleep tomorrow, I don't care how it sounds, I'm losing a friend with him.

I guess you just have to enjoy the time you have with people. Unfortunately we can't always know when people will die, and even when we do, it will never be easy.

I've witnessed the passing of my grandfather(89 years), my grandma (75 years), and an aunt(52 years(suicide)). None of these events compared to what I went through my junior year of high school. It was the first week of school and common sense and a level head gave way to youthful exuberance and a few of my friends decided to race a local 3kgt after the first football game of the year. Four of my friends were in a 92 iroc with a few mods, the opponent was in his 3kgt sl. I was in my mercury sable (car I had been given when I got my license) my other friend was in his lifted gmc1500. We went to the local office parks which had a nice wide straight long road. The racing participants lined up while my friend flagged the race. They went and I followed... and followed... and followed. The race seemed like forever and was pretty close. The end of the street began to approach, first slowly, then much much faster. I started to say to myself "stop stop STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!!!!" it didn't happen. My friend finally braked and locked them up. The car went sideways, slid across an intersection and broadsided a tree. I knew at that moment that this was a life and death situation. I pulled up and parked ran out of my car, my friend in the sierra pulled up and immediately drove off as fast as he could in the direction of a phone/emergency service as none of us had cells at the time. I approached the mangled wreck of a turdgen. it was the most horrible thing I had ever seen. Chris was still behind the wheel, bleeding from the head and unconscious. My friend since first grade Richie was no longer in the car but about 10 feet away, he was conscious but in very critical condition. He had been thrown out of the window and his abdomen was sliced open on his side... he was in bad condition. Mike was in between the back seat and the front seat. He was perfectly still and not breathing regularly. The last passenger was sitting,in the passenger seat, calm, and in terrible shock. I went over to rich and held him in my arms, his last words were "i'm sorry". I lost three great friends that night, none of them were wearing seat belts, the only survivor was wearing one. Having to attend the funerals of three of your best friends in two days is possibly the worst thing i've ever had to do.

http://www.sunnews.com/news/1999/0902/scoping.htm article from the time.

Alex, I and unfortunately many people have gone through the same thing and it is tragic. Nobody should die that young ever. It's a hard thing to live through, especially at this stage in life. Unfortunately I don't have much in teh way of advice to get through it. It's tough no matter how you approach it. However, this is a time when you need to be close with your friends, and close with your family. While you may think that you're dealing with it alright you may also find yourself really depressed and withdrawn, and that's when you need your friends. Good luck and best wishes.

-Mark

its not easy losing anyone who had any form of a presence in your life.

when i was in 11th grade, my best friend died in a car accident.

it was a friday night, we had all gone to a basketball game. some kid who was a year older wanted to show off his new mazda protege, so he took my friend and another girl who was a year younger out for a ride. they were on some back road through an old neighborhood with lots of trees, somehow they lost control and hit the first tree. this tree sent them airborn, at which point they flipped several times, hitting other trees. they finally came to a stop against a huge tree, my friend instantly snapping his neck.

i went to a quaker school that had like 80 kids in a grade. my friend knew everyone, and everyone was equally devastated. the thing is, when we all had a meeting for worship the next day, no one knowing what to do, we were all just bawling. one of my other good friends stood up and said elloquently "i can feel greg's presence here... he is definitely running around naked, making the most out of the situation"

the day before my friend died, as i was helping him with some math homework, he said to me "steve, i could be getting straight A's in this class if i wanted to spend my life studying"

i forget who said this, but its on a poster in my frat house "dream as if you'll live forever. live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It seemed like it was a monthly thing for me growing up. Suicide, car wrecks, murder, cancer...you name it. I grew up in the confused hick/yuppie town of Hilliard. I watched it grow into the shit hole that it is today. 4 generations of my family grew up in Hilliard and by the time I was 18 I couldn't wait to move away.

My son's baby sitter's son (a 7th grader) told me a kid got arrested last week at his school for having CRACK! Yes, I know this happens everywhere.