anyone know about half shafts?(ford bronco)

gt-titan

im looking at a 94 ford bronco to buy.the seller is saying that it needs a half shaft on the driverside.anyone know how hard of a job this is? and know where i should start to look for a haft shaft? i just have never worked on a 4x4 system before any help would be great. and if theres anyone out there that can do it let me know i will pay for your help........(gearhead). thanks.....

Most of the time its so easy we change them on trail rides. You remove the hub assy, bearings and then remove the axle and change it. On a fullsize truck that is normally the part of the axle shaft on the outer end (the part the hub attaches to) that drives the wheel. The "axle shaft" is usually considered the inner part of the shaft that goes into the housing and is driven by the differential gears. Very easy to change out and maybe what he really meant was it needs the U-joint replaced that connects them. Unless its driven offroad and/or abused in those ways the axle or half shafts don't usually get damaged. The U-joint fails with age and if it broke completely under power it could break the axleshaft hoops that hold the joint in place.

Evan

Most of the time its so easy we change them on trail rides. You remove the hub assy, bearings and then remove the axle and change it. On a fullsize truck that is normally the part of the axle shaft on the outer end (the part the hub attaches to) that drives the wheel. The "axle shaft" is usually considered the inner part of the shaft that goes into the housing and is driven by the differential gears. Very easy to change out and maybe what he really meant was it needs the U-joint replaced that connects them. Unless its driven offroad and/or abused in those ways the axle or half shafts don't usually get damaged. The U-joint fails with age and if it broke completely under power it could break the axleshaft hoops that hold the joint in place.

Evan

yeah it is the u-joint and a bearing.will i need that special socket to get the hub apart? or will it take a standard socket?and im putting man locking hubs on it and taking the auto's off. i was told that is the best thing to do.thanks for the info it will help.

If your really sneaky you could probably change that U-joint without removing an axle, but its kinda tricky and I"ve only seen it done when someone said that it couldn't be done at a 4x4 camp out. Some hillbilly laid in the mud for awhile doing that one with basic tools.

Yeah best thing to do is convert it to manual hubs asap. better for gas mileage and for wear on the front end parts. If its a fulltime 4wd t-case you can even convert it to part time with a kit. Also if its a fulltime 4wd bronco then you might not want to convert the hubs to manual locking ones because everything is still gonna spin except for the front wheels so your not really helping anything out unless you install the kit I mentioned in the t-case along with the manual hubs.

To remove that big nut I usually use screw drivers to knock it loose and then use my fingers. They are not tightened like newer cars. At the most it might have a metal tab on a large washer that locks the nuts (yeah there are normally 2 of them.) On my D44 front axle which is what ford also used for their front ends I simple have 1 outer and 1 inner nut. They lock against each other on the threads to keep them from backing off. You set the wheel bearing torque by feel since your only gonna need inch lbs. I usually wait until I get the tire/wheel back on the truck before I do the final check of the torque and I just wiggle and adjust the nut until the wiggle is barely noticable. The reason I put the tire back on first is because I often don't get them tight enough from only the leverage the hub assembly gives me to "feel" the gap with. I might know some more stuff about it. Chevy, Dodge, and Ford shared alot of stuff made by Dana from the 60's up through the 80's when it comes to their driveline componets. It really makes finding used parts alot easier when you know a little about all 3 makes.

Is the front end IFS or that twin beam thingy that ford used? I can't remember. Either way its still a D44 front end. they just used some of their imagination to hang it in there.

Evan

i don't know if it's a ifs or twin beam but i do know it is not fulltime 4x4 it is the push button though and not the man shift on the floor.there is a 4x4 shop over by dublin off post/161 on industrial drive i stopped in there yesterday im going to get the parts i need there they do mostly jeeps there. do you know of any other shops around that is closer to us here in westerville. thanks for the info keep it coming.and where can i get a good deal on some tires? i think i want to stay around a 31inch.

I'd just get the parts from Advance in westerville. I go in there enough that the guys know me. They get 99% of my business. I'm not big on Goodyears truck tire line, but maybe they've changed since I last used them. Only reason I mention them is the goodyear store at schrock and westerville rd has hooked me up with free and cheap service on things like pressing bearings and mounting my 38.5" boggers so I own them at least a mention. I'll probably buy my dd corolla tires from them next time around as well.

Have fun with the 4x4. I like trucks much better and they are always easier to work on since you don't have to jack them up as much and there much bigger and simpler.

BTW don't buy to much into the crap about u-joints without a grease fitting being better. The grease fitting makes them last much longer if you grease it a couple times a year or when ever you get done playing in mud/water.

Evan

Guest Removed
i don't know if it's a ifs or twin beam but i do know it is not fulltime 4x4 it is the push button though and not the man shift on the floor.there is a 4x4 shop over by dublin off post/161 on industrial drive i stopped in there yesterday im going to get the parts i need there they do mostly jeeps there. do you know of any other shops around that is closer to us here in westerville. thanks for the info keep it coming.and where can i get a good deal on some tires? i think i want to stay around a 31inch.

I BEAM SETUP, AND ITS A U-JOINT NOT A CV.

AUTO ,LOCKING HUBS.(WHICH SUCK)

well i found out that a friend is a big 4x4 person even though he hasn't had one for a few years just happen to tell him yesterday about what i was into he came over last night with a u-joint press that socket and a bearing packer.man he was a big help.thanks guys for your help,sometimes it's hard for me to do this stuff do you my dad was the go to guy for me with this stuff so thanks again.