Motor Mount 94 Saturn SL2

87GT

I am pretty sure my front passenger side motor mount needs replaced. There is a tear in the rubber and the engine makes rattling sounds with it in drive at a complete stop. It doesnt do it that much in netural or park. If I open the hood and shift into drive or reverse the engine swings about 1 inch. So how hard is it to replace this mount? Just jack up the engine on the oil pan and remove the screws? Or something else have to be done?

Thanks

Those are notorious for collapsing. They'll clunk when the car is put into reverse or drive, vibrate and rattle at cruise and idle, and also feel like the engine is running really rough.

Yup. Jack it up using a block and replace. If you get the part at the dealer they'll recommend the studs be replaced. Your call on those. I'd rate it a novice repair at best.

I replaced this one but I am still having the same problems. Its also making a different growning sound when driving and turning. The engine still swings when put into gear and reverse. I guess I should replace all the mounts. Are the other mounts replaced the same fashion?

Is it slamming into reverse? If it's a harsh slam into reverse you most likely have a tranny problem. Most likely a valve body or an input shaft nut.

Ya it has done that since I bought it. But if you watch the engine and shift from park to drive.... Or drive to reverse... the whole engine swings about an inch. And it makes a horrible sounding noise that it didn't do last week when driving around, when slowing down, when turning either way, and when giving it lots of gas. And before I fixed that "TAM" engine mount it made really bad rattling sound when in drive at a full stop. It sort of stopped that after I changed the one engine mount but today driving it is doing it again. The more I drive it the louder it gets.