94 Cutlass.. axle seal

Buck531

Ok, here's the deal. My brother has replaced his driver side axle seal about 10 times in the last year on his cutlass. It's not modified in any way and is as stock as it gets. It will work for a week or two, then start pourings trans fluid out.

Doesn't matter if it's a NAPA< advance, GM, whatever. It still leaks.

I told him to try another axle, any other ideas?

if the axle is rusty where it contacts the seal it can cause it to fail

tell him to clean and deburr the axle from the slpines to an inch or so past where the seal rides and see if that doesn't fix it......

its also possible for a bad suspension part (like a control arm bushing) to make the axle move around too much and cut the seal

if the axle is rusty where it contacts the seal it can cause it to fail

tell him to clean and deburr the axle from the slpines to an inch or so past where the seal rides and see if that doesn't fix it......

its also possible for a bad suspension part (like a control arm bushing) to make the axle move around too much and cut the seal

Do you remember this car Dave? this was the one that had the really bad power steering fluid leak that we had on the rack at Firestone a while ago. (he has a HUge dent in the sub frame)

The axle itself looks good and no rust is on there. It felt really smooth to the touch when he pulled the axle out the last time.

Any way to tell if there's a bad control arm bushing? I know the ball joints have been replaced, not sure about the tie rods.

this is the one i looked at Buck, not Dave. To check the suspension, jack the car up to get the wheel off the ground grab the sides of the tire and shake and feel for looseness, same thing grab the top and bottom and shake

OR

first link in my sig.

Guest Removed

the bushing on the output side of the diff is worn badly. causing the axle too move and destroy the seal.

thats what it sounds like.. we have fixxed a few of them.