TBI injection and boost?

criitter7

how does it do well together..

im tossing around the idea of turboing my 96 gms sierra 5.7. do they take well to boost. i dont want lots of power just some more than it has now.

any ideas or any gm truck forums out there?

It is possible but I have heard that it is extremely costly and a PIA to do. And how the hell do you not know if it's TBI? :rolleyes:

i drive it everyday... i dont open the hood... hell i have ever even changed the oil in it myself..lol

Do tell. TBI worked prety well on my 455.

Most TBI motors came with a crappy cam.

That and alot of them are very restricted on their breathing as far as air volume through the intake and exhaust. plus the injectors are usually about maxed out and you gotta almost immediately upgrade for any good power.

That and alot of them are very restricted on their breathing as far as air volume through the intake and exhaust. plus the injectors are usually about maxed out and you gotta almost immediately upgrade for any good power.

If you are going to be building a boosted motor, I very highly doubt that the exhaust and intake or cam will be remaining stock peices.

The injectors are no where near maxed out on a factory TBI unit. The TBI system comes from the fatory set at ~12 PSI. The injectors have no problem running up to 40 PSI. $30 for the new regulator, spring, and diphragm, your stock 90lb BB injectors are now flowing 150lb+.

The 454 units are 50mm bores, good for 700 CFM. If you want, they can be reworked into 54mm bores, and flow 850+ with ease.

Guest 614Streets

Blow through with a TBI causes a few issues. The throttle shafts are not fully sealed for alot of boost. The pressurization of the TBI along with "stacking" air from a hat causes the injectors to have some fuel delivery issues.

Roots blowers tend to work better with TBI as the injectos are litterally sucked underload. Conical spray patter forms to a dense cone. Also throttle shaft sealing is unimportant with draw through.

The tough part is the tuning. Its ABC basic injection but wit boost you need to add adequate injectors and pressure while at the same time not jepordizing the idle and midrange areas burning excessive fuel and carboning up the motor.

A good TBI set up can use a carburetor style regulator with boost reference on the return line to act as an FMU. Forget trying to run a standard fmu , its been proven to be unreliable and no matter what springs you place inside the fmu the pressure with ultimately shut the injectors down.TBI run withing 12-27 lb fuel pressures.

TBI is underrated. People just think it sucks because they don't know anything about it, and because most TBI cars came from the factory with underpowered motors (peanut cam, restrictive exhaust, poor-flowing heads, weak factory tune, etc)

Throttle-body injection is fine, just not for a super high-performance application. There are plenty of TBI cars and trucks making 300+ whp. Try http://www.thirdgen.org and check out the TBI section. Most of the stuff on there deals with the LO3 and LO5 (Camaro 305, Caprice 350) but you'll learn anything you need to know about modding a TBI motor. Very knowledgable people on there too. Hope this helps