Tune up on a 01 f150 4.6

turbotalon15psi

Guest Removed
As far as I know it is just the threads. They generally won't shoot plugs except in higher power apps.

stock they will shot the plugs out. :mad:

we fixx them...

Guest 78novaman

Yes, the mod motors shoot plugs out of the heads.

Usually this only happens when they are over-torqued. This weakens the threads and they eventually give way. There are a lot of complaints on engines blowing them out even with the original plugs in them, most likely from a factory screw up.

A tune up will do nothing to help and may make it more likely. If someone that does not know what they are doing touches it they will most likely over-tighten the plugs and then BOOM!

There is also a company that makes inserts so you can repair your head if a plug does blow, so it's not that large of a loss.

Guest Removed
Hadn't heard stock motors were doing that. That sucks, I haven't done it yet though lol.

4.0 (v-6) 4.6 sohc, 5.4sohc and even a few 4.0 dohc ones ive seen.

its the suckers.

Guest Removed
Yeah it has to do with torqueing the plugs correctly. If you torque them to spec then you have nothing to worry about.

:bs:

theres a BIG TSB on this problem. it involves replacing the heads. WTF are you talking about?

I believe they went to 10 threads on the heads in 03, you should be fine.

You are correct sir. The early built cobra's do have the earlier heads with the bad threads though. I hope mine is not an early build.