valve check- where can i get replacement shims?

natedogg624

doing a valve check this winter since im going to have the engine out of the bike anyways.

1: the book says i may be able to get shims to trade in at my local dealer... has anybody had any luck with this? i will call around tomorrow (if anyone's open...) and see what the dealio is.

2: is this something thats pretty easy to do? i know the actual check itself is simple but if i need to actually replace a shim then i feel like it would get a little more complicated.

3: any advice? how much are the measurement spacers (the technical name is drawing a blank) and a good magnet tool?

4: dustin do you want to move you and your shop a little closer to cbus...

i should have some good how to's to put up this winter...

doing a valve check this winter since im going to have the engine out of the bike anyways.

1: the book says i may be able to get shims to trade in at my local dealer... has anybody had any luck with this? i will call around tomorrow (if anyone's open...) and see what the dealio is.

2: is this something thats pretty easy to do? i know the actual check itself is simple but if i need to actually replace a shim then i feel like it would get a little more complicated.

3: any advice? how much are the measurement spacers (the technical name is drawing a blank) and a good magnet tool?

Good luck getting the dealer to trade shims. My experience has been that they'd be more than happy to sell you all the shims you want but they aren't going to trade you.

Get a good feeler gauge and any "special" tools that may be required for your particular bike. Keep everything clean, and write all your numbers down. It's really not that hard to do.

Often times that is the case. I don't know what the policy was at HNW when I was working there, but with zerocrash working there and such I'd make them your first call

Well my opinion is a bit biased, but I think it's pretty easy

feeler gauges. And they're cheap. 10 dollars. Get a service manual. Find a torque wrench that is accurate. Don't mess up your timing

if i can make a living doing it, I'm there man. Bring the bike home and drop it off over Christmas break. I'll help ya out.

If I do some of the stuff I'm thinking about, I'll have some how-to's very closely related to this, just don't know for sure if i'm doing it or not...

Good luck getting the dealer to trade shims. My experience has been that they'd be more than happy to sell you all the shims you want but they aren't going to trade you.

Get a good feeler gauge and any "special" tools that may be required for your particular bike. Keep everything clean, and write all your numbers down. It's really not that hard to do.

feeler gauge thats it! and i can't really do any engine work til i get a smaller range torque wrench.

I'm going to echo Todd's remarks. Pretty easy to do, but one thing I will suggest is a service manual. And not of the Clymer type variety...

yea brian i've got the full service manual plus the haynes to aid with my visual side of the brain. ill be using the service manual but if there are any questions i usually refer to the haynes as a source for better pictures.

and thanks dustin. much appreciated.

one more thing. reading up on putting the cams back in and engine timing (not ignition timing) and how you could screw it up if you don't do it correct.

would a simple solution to solving this problem be to just mark the chain and cam sprockets and matching them back up on install?

one more thing. reading up on putting the cams back in and engine timing (not ignition timing) and how you could screw it up if you don't do it correct.

would a simple solution to solving this problem be to just mark the chain and cam sprockets and matching them back up on install?

They are marked already. you just have to ensure you're reading the marks correctly.