Hey Ford buffs

SHIEF

I bought a 92 Ranger reg cab, 2wd, short bed, 2.3, 5spd for next to nothing being it's rough outside and needs an engine. I was either looking to swap a 5.0 & t5 or get a 2.3 turbo swap minus tranny. This is just a work/beater truck so gas mileage is a slight issue and this will be done on a budget. I like the idea of the 5.0 but $$ wise and gas wise is it worth it? As for the 2.3 turbo, I know there are a few versions of this swap (mustang, merkur, Tcoupe) so if I did go this route which would be best? Both would never see anything more than 89 oct either. Just wanna get some thoughts and opinions.

actually doing the 5.0 isn't reall that bad either you need access to a welder to put the frame pads in and a complete efi harness from a mustang everything else is controlled by the ranger body harness wich isn't integrated like some later fords

a manual brake manual steer ranger is the best for 5.0 conversion, you can keep all of your accesories but its a lot more work

I bought a 92 Ranger reg cab, 2wd, short bed, 2.3, 5spd for next to nothing being it's rough outside and needs an engine. I was either looking to swap a 5.0 & t5 or get a 2.3 turbo swap minus tranny. This is just a work/beater truck so gas mileage is a slight issue and this will be done on a budget. I like the idea of the 5.0 but $$ wise and gas wise is it worth it? As for the 2.3 turbo, I know there are a few versions of this swap (mustang, merkur, Tcoupe) so if I did go this route which would be best? Both would never see anything more than 89 oct either. Just wanna get some thoughts and opinions.

I might know where there is a 5.0(maf convert) and auto tranny (IIRC fresh rebuild) with complete harness for around $800. If you interseted I can PM you the guys info.

Ive done the 5.0 swap for any 88 ranger gt which is dropped, and let me tell its not at all bad to do when looking in hindsight. However, at the time I was 19 and trying to take every short cut possible cause i was/am in the military, and worked on it only when i came home, and made alot of mistakes. Now its drives but i left it in ohio for its not worth the gas mileage to be a daily, so now its strictly a project, till its 100%.

if you look for a 2.3 car look for a merkur first as they had the t3 turbo instead of the pea shooter the t-coupe had

83 - 86 Turbo Coupe's had the T3 as well. The autos came with a .48/.60 Garret, the 5 speed's came with a .63/.60 Garret.

87 - 88 Turbo Coupe's came with the IHI.

I'm on Rangerpowersports as well, there is ALOT of information to be found in that place. If you have any questions, PM me and I can help you out with pretty much everything you'll need to know.

As for tranny, since yours has the 2.3 in it already, the stock Ranger tranny will hold up for a stock to mild 2.3T. Assuming though the tranny is in good shape.

If you can find all the "turbo specific" stuff, you can rebuild your stock 2.3 block up to turbo specs pretty easily, not as easily as doing a complete 2.3T swap, but it'll get the job done non the less.

83 - 86 Turbo Coupe's had the T3 as well. The autos came with a .48/.60 Garret, the 5 speed's came with a .63/.60 Garret.

87 - 88 Turbo Coupe's came with the IHI.

I'm on Rangerpowersports as well, there is ALOT of information to be found in that place. If you have any questions, PM me and I can help you out with pretty much everything you'll need to know.

As for tranny, since yours has the 2.3 in it already, the stock Ranger tranny will hold up for a stock to mild 2.3T. Assuming though the tranny is in good shape.

If you can find all the "turbo specific" stuff, you can rebuild your stock 2.3 block up to turbo specs pretty easily, not as easily as doing a complete 2.3T swap, but it'll get the job done non the less.

Looks like I'm going the 2.3T route. Thanks Matt. I'm sure I'll be pm'in you about something. Yeah I spent about 2 hours the other night on rps and another one 'checking the specs'. I think I'm gonna go with Derek's Tcoupe stuff minus the tranny. It'll have the IHI but no biggy. Just a daily/work/for the dog truck, if I want a upgrade then I'll go t3 but we'll see. Should be a fun beater.

It will definately be fun!

Just like here at times, we can be a bit "sour" to the new guys on RPS if you show any sign of n00biness lol. But, if you can take the lumps at first, you'll be amazed at how helpful we can be.

So I should start it off like: "We'll I'm not really a Ford guy, I'm a GM guy. But I bought this pos Ranger, and wanted to make it whistle before it doesn't work." I think that'll work :) Seemed the other night most of my Q's were already answered on there though.

Guest JWLane

My IHI gave up the ghost pretty damn fast at 20 psi... But it was a fun ride!

The T3's are so cheap to come by, it'd be silly not to. The best part is, that ranger should have enough room to cram an intercooler behind the bumper...

Sheif, that'd be perfect lol. Whats your screen name on there?

There are guys on Turboford who have ran 20 to 20+ PSI on their IHI's for a considerable time. But, that boost level is getting out of its efficiency range and is starting to cook the air more than anything.

From an IHI to the T3 you'll feel a little bit of lag, but, the top end power from it is leaps and bounds better than the IHI. It more than makes up for the lag difference.

A perfect intercooler to find is one from an Isuzu box truck, either NPR or NQR. Make sure when you are looking for them you find the "large" ones. They fit perfectly behind the core support and in front of the radiator. Basically if the truck has/had A/C, the intercooler will sit where the A/C condensor sits/sat. It may require a little trimming of the metal around where the condensor sat, but 5 minutes with a zip saw and its done. It fits so perfect that it shouldn't require mounting tabs.