on car cv boot repair???

CJINOHIO03

Has anyone done this? I was working on the brakes and nicked the boot so there is grease leaking out. I see they have kits where u can replace it on the car. Anyone ever try this? Do they work ok? I dont want to try it if I will have to replace the whole cv joint. Thanks CJ

Sounds like your having one hell of a weekend. There are "on the car" boot kits (split boots). As is typicaly, they are a compromise - or not as good as the "original". One type glues together, one type has some sort of fastener. The key thing is they have to be pristine clean to seal when you put them together - and them have time to "cure" or dry at the joint. If they are dirty anywhere, that's where they will come apart as soon as they flex. It can be done and it's generally faster than pulling the axle. I'd be tempted to rotate the shaft so the 'nick" is at the 12:00 o'clock position, clean it up real well and try some RTV silicone sealant if it's small. Again, just get it clean and leave it time to dry.

Guest Removed
or use a boot gun. threy run about $500 bucks and can put a boot on without taking the joints apart.but then a new axle will run you About $60.00. and with the boot being broke its a better idea, too just replace it.when the boots are riped open and they loose all the grease damage to the joint is what happens.