Mustang will not run right

Guest foxstang89

Guest foxstang89

I've got an 89 Mustang that was a 4 cyl, but now converted to a 302 automatic. I've had all kinds of trouble with the carb and ignition. That has

all recently been fixed with a little $. The main problem is that #1, 5, and #6

cylinders are fouling plugs and missing very bad, along with a crankcase full of gas every time i start it and only let it run for 10 min. Its got plenty of spark from the msd 7a. Compression is 150psi on all cyl. All rocker arms are moving the same(lift). whats my problem? What else do I check?

First make sure the firing order is correct There are two different orders depending on what your cam is cut for (standard 302 or 302HO/351W).

If that's good, I would suspect a vacuum leak, most likely an intake gasket judging by your fuel distribution problems (poor vacuum signal at the carb).

Guest Removed

theres two firing orders. try the other one.the cam can only be cut for one of the 2. normal 302 is different from the 302ho/351 firing order.

make sure the floats arent set too high in the carb etc. fuel pressure should not be more then 7psi.etc,etc.

I'm w/ Dave on this one. I would borrow a carb from someone, and swap it out.

This will atleast rule out the carb.

Then go onto wires. This is if it is just those 3 cyl fouling every time. There isnt to much after the plugs and wires that would only affect 3 cyc.

The other thing is not to change to much at once w/o testing between each time.

I know it sounds like common sense, but that has burnt me when working on problem w/ my camaro.

Good luck w/ it.