Sportbike banment?!

NinjaNick

Give me a gawddamn break! Don't chase, get license # and catch the person later! Driving a 4,ooolb killer trying to catch something you're not at speeds you don't have much experience at is just plain stupid. Why the fuck we even have license plates then if they won't actually use them for their intent. Anways....this is scary! Fun spoiled by few.

Crotch Rockets Are 'Potential Death Machines'

June 1, 2007 - 8:08am

FORESTVILLE, Md. - Saying that so-called bullet bikes or crotch rockets are "wreaking a tremendous amount of havoc on our roadways," one Maryland lawmaker says the state should consider banning the motorcycles from street use.

A crash on the Capital Beltway Wednesday night killed two people and left 15 others injured. Police say that the accident happened as they were trying to stop one of these speeding motorcycles.

"They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," says Delegate Bill Bronrott of Montgomery County. "I think we should look at the possibility of saying, 'Hey, these are only intended for recreational use and should be used on race courses rather than on public highways."

Bronrott says Maryland State Police are contacting jurisdictions around the country to see how they handle the motorcycles. He says Maryland needs to investigate whether higher penalties would reduce problems associated with the motorcycles and/or whether laws need to be changed.

"It is definitely worth looking into whether or not we should totally ban these from our public roads or not," Bronrott says.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the seven-car, chain-reaction crash that closed the Beltway Wednesday night.

It started at about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's County police officer spotted a speeding motorcycle and positioned himself to stop it on the inner loop, police said. The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's.

That car rolled down an embankment onto the outer loop, where five other cars crashed into each other.

Two people in the car that went over the embankment died. Prince George's County Police have identified them as Kevin McCarter, 40, of Ft. Washington, Md. and Sidney Clanton Jr., age unknown, of Buffalo, N.Y.

Two of the injured were police officers. One was flown to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. The other was also hospitalized, but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Law enforcement sources tell WTOP the officers involved in the accident had been alerted to a felony in progress, and were given a lookout for the cycle.

Officers are looking for the motorcycle and rider believed to be responsible.

Police say they were chasing a black, high-speed, nimble racing motorcycle.

A video camera in the police cruiser did capture the chase, but police have not provided a more detailed description of the bike, or any license plate information.

The accident and rescue effort caused the highway to be closed in both directions, backing up traffic for miles.

Police are asking anyone with information to call them at 301-772-4710 or 301-731-4422.

I've been posting the following on the forums I browse. Copy it all and post in the forums you all browse. Let's spread this around.

[code:4f705]

Crotch Rockets Are 'Potential Death Machines'

June 1, 2007 - 8:08am

FORESTVILLE, Md. - Saying that so-called bullet bikes or crotch rockets are "wreaking a tremendous amount of havoc on our roadways," one Maryland lawmaker says the state should consider banning the motorcycles from street use.

A crash on the Capital Beltway Wednesday night killed two people and left 15 others injured. Police say that the accident happened as they were trying to stop one of these speeding motorcycles.

"They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," says Delegate Bill Bronrott of Montgomery County. "I think we should look at the possibility of saying, 'Hey, these are only intended for recreational use and should be used on race courses rather than on public highways."

Bronrott says Maryland State Police are contacting jurisdictions around the country to see how they handle the motorcycles. He says Maryland needs to investigate whether higher penalties would reduce problems associated with the motorcycles and/or whether laws need to be changed.

"It is definitely worth looking into whether or not we should totally ban these from our public roads or not," Bronrott says.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the seven-car, chain-reaction crash that closed the Beltway Wednesday night.

It started at about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's County police officer spotted a speeding motorcycle and positioned himself to stop it on the inner loop, police said. The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's.

That car rolled down an embankment onto the outer loop, where five other cars crashed into each other.

Two people in the car that went over the embankment died. Prince George's County Police have identified them as Kevin McCarter, 40, of Ft. Washington, Md. and Sidney Clanton Jr., age unknown, of Buffalo, N.Y.

Two of the injured were police officers. One was flown to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. The other was also hospitalized, but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Law enforcement sources tell WTOP the officers involved in the accident had been alerted to a felony in progress, and were given a lookout for the cycle.

Officers are looking for the motorcycle and rider believed to be responsible.

Police say they were chasing a black, high-speed, nimble racing motorcycle.

A video camera in the police cruiser did capture the chase, but police have not provided a more detailed description of the bike, or any license plate information.

The accident and rescue effort caused the highway to be closed in both directions, backing up traffic for miles.

Police are asking anyone with information to call them at 301-772-4710 or 301-731-4422.

This is absolute bullshit. Here's Delegate Bill Bronrott's contact information:

http://www.bronrott.com/contact/index.html

Email him. Call him. Snail mail him. I don't care, but be sure if you disagree with this you let him know.[/code:4f705]

i agree with cbrgirl. the first reports sayed that the cop lost control when he tried to get infront of the bike. the bike got the hell out of the way and the cop lost control. fuck this bullshit. i think that we should all renew our plated now for the next 10 years.

They dont need to ban sportbikes or change any penalties pertaining to sportbikes... Law enforcement needs to change the way they make decisions on chasing people. True Story, just told! Something like... if I clock this bike and he is going over 115MPH, I am not allowed to chase him cuz it is too dangerous.

the officer's car to hit the civilian's.

I dont think the bike pushed the car into the others!! they crashed thier own car and its someone elses fault. Sounds like the rider was the one who was in control.

+ 8765746070980-80-890

If for one minute you guys think this can't happen, You Are Wrong!

This is why they call me Pops.

Back in the seventies/early eighties there was a government official by the name of Joan Claybrook. She came dangerously close to banning all motorcycles. She wanted them in cages, outlandish roll equipment, you name it. Bottom line is she wanted and almost got all motorcycles banned in the US. The AMA rallied and if you didn't join their fight you might as well throw your keys in my bon-fire pit. Obviously, since we're all riding today you know the outcome, and trust me, they won't stop at sportbikes. It's just like the anti firearm activists. Today they want this one banned, tomorrow they want that one banned, they're just chipping away.

Stand up for your rights. Join an organization and most important of all, Be A Registered Voter!

Freedom isn't free.

Pops

preachin to the choir pops .. i started voting after 911... it was my sons second b-day and it hit me hard ... i almost joined the army but my wife stopped me so i got my arsenal and started voting and listeneng ... sometimes it takes a disaster to make us realize what we have ... just hope we dont forget too soon... :)

...Causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's. Right.

The officer hit the civilian's car. The officer caused the accident.

• 2 weeks later...
....... The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's.

hoe does that happen???? the 400 lb bike must have forced the 3000 lb car into the other car lol lol dumb cop!!!!!

The fucking cop caused the crash!! Always check your blind spot!!!

see above +1 +1