Question on Racing Slicks

hot_wire

After yesterday's autoX, I decided that my street tires are restricting my run times.

A quick glance online netted me exactly the tires I wanted. 225/55/15s with 60% tread left. The tires are Hoosier Slicks and the guy wants $125 for the set (worth $800 new).

I'm off to look at them today. What do I look for? How can I tell if they're too hard? Should I ask about heat cycling? I've never owned a set of slicks... is it possible to test tread depth? What else should I be concerned with?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Sorry for the wrong section. Thanks, mods.

You'd be surprised at how much faster you can still be on your current tires. My reccomendation to you is not to buy slicks until after a good full season of autox, though some people catch on a lot faster.

At the next event talk to the novice coordinator and see if she can get you a highly experienced driver in your heat to drive your car, likely they will whoop your ass in it and you'll learn a lot from it.

It might be frustrating but stay on street tires this year, if anything just ante up to some Falken Azenis and have fun.