Who may know a thing or two about Saab's?

RangerTurbo

I'm looking into picking up a used 03 or 04 Saab 9-3.

What I want to know, is if the wiring harness's under the hood between the different packages are the same. All 9-3's came with the same 2.0 Turbo (be it 2.0T or 2.0t), but the base model had 175HP, and the Luxury and Sport model had 210HP all from the same engine.

Reason I ask if the wireing is the same is I was wondering if swapping computers or getting the ECU re flashed with the better tune is possible between the packages.

If I could simply swap to a better ECU, or chip it or whatever in the base model 9-3, then I could save a couple grand on the price and still end up with the higher HP/TQ engine.

Hopefully some of you guys will have some sort of insight.

• 2 weeks later...

Ehh not a fan of the 03-04 9-3's. Personally, I'd go with a 02 or earlier. They're easier to work on and more Saab like IMO. To each their own.

I know that the 03's have a different engine than the 02's, but provided that the setup is the same, the higher output engine has a different turbo from the others.

If you're simply interested in a gain of a few horsepower, that's very possible with an ecu swap (for either model)

Check out these companies for properly tuned ECU's:

BSR

Nordic (http://www.genuinesaab.com)

SQR (automotion motorsport)

Jac Stoll Performance (don't know if he tunes 03's)

Aside from ECU's, there are many extras (think big turbos) that work with Saabs. Realize, however, that a tweaked Saab is just that. It may be tweaked, but you're still limited by the fact that it is a heavy, FWD, understeering Saab! If you're a true enthusiast, you may be better off buying something with a bit more "fun" and a little less luxury.

Just checked, and a Nordic tune will run you about $1,000 for either the high or low output model. The tune can gain about 40hp with no hardware modifications.

Note that Saab's can't be "reflashed" by your local tune shop. Trionic software's a bitch.

Hot Wire what year is your saab? And since when was a Saab considered luxury? lol

Mine's an 01. hahaha I guess luxury is a matter of opinion. If the car's got heated leather seats and more buttons than I know what to do with, I'd call it luxury :p

what year did they have the wrx platform. Get one of those. EASY TO TUNE.

hahaha the saab-aru? Thats the 9-2x wagon. Dirt cheap if you look around hard enough. Only problem is nobody wants to work on a 9-2x. The Subaru dealers say its not their problem since its not their car, and the Saab dealers won't work on it because they've never seen an engine like that!