G T O

kirks5oh

How much does the average GTO go for these days???

open ended question, i know. i'm looking to buy one within the next 6 months or so, i'm in NO hurry. i want to spend about $20k, and want to buy one with less than 25k miles. this will be an un-modded daily driver. i don't care if its manual or auto, as the wife will likely get some seat time behind the wheel. of course, i'd love an '05, but would settle for an '04. there are PLENTY of '04's in that price range, but '05's are few, and most have 25+k miles. has anyone seen '05's in the $20k price range??

i had to return some parts on w. broad, and stopped by haydocy. they had 2 '04's--both autos, one had 12k miles ($21k), and the other had around 25k miles ($20k). here's the kicker--they had an '05 6-speed with 31k miles on it for $26k. does that seem pretty ridiculous to anyone?? it wasn't even clean at all--the wheels were black with baked on brake dust. the ethiopian-looking salesman didn't like it when i told him you could still buy GTO's with 0 miles for nearly that price--he was in absolute disbelief--idiot.

thanks. i've looked a bit on autotrader several months ago. i'm assuming all the prices they list for cars on autotrader are negotiable??? the last thing i want to do is find the perfect car 250 miles away, and drive out there to find out its a turd--its a risk you must take i guess. since i can easily afford to wait until as late as winter, i'd assume it would be easier to find an '05 in that price range.

i can remember seeing a link to an LS2 forum a while back where some guy bought a brand spanking new 6speed LS2 GTO for $25k.

thanks. i've looked a bit on autotrader several months ago. i'm assuming all the prices they list for cars on autotrader are negotiable??? the last thing i want to do is find the perfect car 250 miles away, and drive out there to find out its a turd--its a risk you must take i guess. since i can easily afford to wait until as late as winter, i'd assume it would be easier to find an '05 in that price range.

i can remember seeing a link to an LS2 forum a while back where some guy bought a brand spanking new 6speed LS2 GTO for $25k.

Do your negotiating ( if there is any) over the phone. Most dealers get pretty agressive with pricing online. You have to stand out.

Mine was 20K w/ 18K miles... 05's are hard to come by from my search... and I don't see spending 5-10K more for 50hp...

true, 50hp isn't worth $5k in my opinion. especially since this will be my daily driver, and not one that i modify/need to be extremely fast. i do like the slight styling changes in the '05's, and wonder if there's any more new technology in the LS2, or if it is basically just an LS1 with a slight displacement bump.

FYI, I sold my 04 Black M6 w. chrome wheels and 17,000 miles for $19,500. You should be able to find what you want.

http://nurkvinny.com/images/Vehicles/Cars/2004_GTO/GTO6.jpg

great looking car you had, it must have been hard to part with.

there are several '05's on ebay right now with no reserve and starting prices around $21,900.

Take this to the bank: Keep watching the cars for sale section on LS1GTO.com/LS2GTO.com and you should be able to literally steal a fully modded car at a unmoded price. They go up for sale all the time with people having to sell quickly.

I read a thread on ls1gto.

"So with the 04s you get the first model year of the new Pontiac GTO which can be considered more original and the LS1 does share more mods with some of the older gen LS1 cars so the mods are probably a little less expensive. With the 05 you get what the 04s started with but a little more performance from the factory. The 06s have just a few more items, not really anything to justify more than a couple grand in mark-up. What you have to decide now, do you want a car that's 4 or 3, or 2 years old? No matter what year you go with though, as long as its a GTO you can't go wrong."

----

"I say, 04 or 06... no 05.

reason being is 04 is the first, and 06 is the last... out of a 3 year run, the 05 will get lost in the fold on what people want. They're either going to want the first (40th annv.) or the last with all the stock goodies GM had to offer.

I will take this a step further, if you don't care about that and just want a DD for a few years, I still say 04 or 06. 04 if you want to mod like mad and 06 if you want to stay stock cause it came will all the goddies GM had to offer (lock button, tails, lighted steering wheel controls, ect...)"

----

"f you are gonna mod heavy then 2004

If you are gonna do minor bolt-ons or leave it stock then 2005/2006"

and if I am not mistake I believe the 6.0s have a little bit or a oil burning issues I've read. I would still buy the 04 over a 05/06 if they were the same price. I've test drove a 06 a4 and I didn't think it was that more impressive than mine.

and if I am not mistake I believe the 6.0s have a little bit or a oil burning issues I've read. I would still buy the 04 over a 05/06 if they were the same price. I've test drove a 06 a4 and I didn't think it was that more impressive than mine.

The LS2 has a oil burning issue. GM has issued a warning to all the owners to check the oil level frequently. They also recommend not driving it hard over 3800 rpm. LOL

thanks for the info guys. i'll check out the LSx forums. i'm not too interested in buying a heavily modified one though--i have my cobra for that. i've heard they make fantastic daily drivers, and i need something reliable for at least the next two years, and my '90 grand prix, and the wife's old '99 sentra aren't going to cut it. after two years, i'll need something that can handle snow (moving to wisconsin to start career--finally), and will likely keep the GTO as a summer car, and then begin modding.

i've sat in a few GTO's and the seats feel great, the dash/instruments look great, and the shifter/clutch effort feel great. i like the subdued/low key exterior styling, as well as the mass production drivetrain in a limited run car.

i guess i will start watching the market from all angles (local lots, autotrader, ebay, lsx forums) and try to pick out a winner.

The LS2 has a oil burning issue. GM has issued a warning to all the owners to check the oil level frequently. They also recommend not driving it hard over 3800 rpm. LOL

WTF?? they've thrown that engine into what---vette, trailblazer, SSR, GTO, cadillac CTS, anything else?? and they're going to tell people to keep it easy over 3800rpms??

WTF?? they've thrown that engine into what---vette, trailblazer, SSR, GTO, cadillac CTS, anything else?? and they're going to tell people to keep it easy over 3800rpms??

The GM letter is in post 1 of this thread:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153061&highlight=oil+GM+letter