GPS units

conn-e-rot

For those of you that have GPS units could you give some advice to those of us that don't. As far as what features to look for and what to stay away from. Do any of the companies make models directed towards motorcycles? Do the universal mounts I've seen in catalogs actually fit most of the units or just a select few?

Just be sure to get a few things;

1 - a screen big enough to see while on the bike

2 - does the touch screen work with gloves?

3 -decent support in case it dumps on you

4 - pre-loaded with the maps you want?

5 - other types of maps available ( such as topography, lakes and streams, etc)?

Garmin has been the standard over the past years, but other are making inroads. I use a Garmin 2610 on my bikes. Loads of decent mounts available (be sure to get a locking one for bike use). But you'll most likely need to rig something up to use it on the bike.

I use a RAM ball moutn system. Rubber mounted, doesn't vibrate and saves the unit from vibration. I made my own mount for the bike - be happy to whip one up for you as well if you want one like mine.

Forgot to answer the other question; Garmin Zumo 550's are the one most long distance bikers are using. I say this based on the number of threads about GPS's on the long distance / sport touring /adventurer forums I'm on. Waterproof, works with gloves, decent screen dispaly size, built specifically for motorcycles, loaded with good mapping, has a decent mount, Bluetooth, XM built in, etc.

See for yourself at : https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414#zumo

Edited by Earache

I own the 550 and it is fantastic, I have owned it for 2 riding seasons. comes standard with a car mount and motorcycle mount. Updates for firmware are free, as is the first year of map upgrades. It is pricey, I believe you get what you pay for.