huntin season

purdy

well im on my prop.. which is only 5 acres and a house in the middle of it... but my buddy has around 100 but they hunt all of it and soo im not sure if he would let someone he doesnt kno out in it.... but ill ask... what do you have

i got a bow. i haven't used it in a few years. good bow, easy to use.

its been well maintained waxed the string after every use.

but string needs fixed, not due to lack of maintenance but more a botched peep sight install, string is frayed. easy fix though, i will fix it before its in your hands if your serious about buying it.

ill have to look up more info on it, but i haven't used it in a few years just too busy with school. retailed for 500 + ~100 in accessories.

accessories installed: sights, new cams, arrow holder, peep sight, a few other things would come with a nice case.

sighted for 10, 25, 50 meters.

thats all i remember without seeing it in a few years.

i have to do some research to see what the going rate is on the bow first before i set a price.

if your interested im going home on wednesday and can get you more info w/ pics etc.

update: its a browning bow.

Edited by natedogg624

yeah, it all depends on how much money you are going to be willing to spend on a bow and hunting equip. you could go all out and buy a mathews or a hoyt and get it very well setup at target world(they have an excellent archery department as well if you have any questions concerning setup they are going to be the people to ask) for around a grand, or you could go low budget route and get a browning or a lower end parker and spend around 400-500 for a well setup bow. then spend another 150 on a nice tree stand/latter setup and you are pretty much ready to go. and stands are always on craigslist for dirt cheap as well. just make sure they are a name brand and do you research before buying a stand. remember you have to be chilllin in this things for at least 3 hours at a time and you dont want to be uncofortable or have any doubts as to whether or not the thing will hold you.

yea i got one stand and a gun i just dont want to push the new neighbors too much by shooting it b4 season.. so i want a bow for now.. is your bow a compound or cross.... if i can find another stand or you have a climber you can come here and sit if your looking for a doe... ive only seen two bucks around and one is too young so i dont want to take either this year... let me know

If you are intending on eating it, a buck is not the best choice this time of year. they are loaded with testosterone, adrenaline and are in keto acidosis from not eating, The rut. They taste like shit because of it. A doe would be much better eating this time of year. Bucks are fine eating at the beginning of bow season.

Purdy......do you understand the time commitment in bow hunting. It requires shooting every day. I gave up compound and now use a crossbow because I just don't have the time to practice the compound....... I still have my woodcraft, I just use a different weapon to harvest game. I have used it to harvest turkey and deer.

My son wants to start bow hunting so I may take the compound back up. If you would like to chat, just pm me. I could help you get started.

With knowledge of your area, it doesn't take too long. I did crossbow for a few years, then started compound late last year. Bought a Reflex Bighorn, Scott's Mongoose Deluxe release and misc other items. Took maybe two days to have it sighted in back to 50yds with 6 inch patterns.

Randomly going out won't work very well, if you know the area and when the deer are moving you can clean up nicely. Went to my parents this past weekeend and bagged one Friday evening at 25yds after waiting for around 2.5 hours. Not the biggest I have gotten by any means, but hey...its something in the freezer.

Before (Would have loved to see the big one!)

Cam%208pt.JPG

After

8pt.JPG

Edited by SJC600rr

With knowledge of your area, it doesn't take too long. I did crossbow for a few years, then started compound late last year. Bought a Reflex Bighorn, Scott's Mongoose Deluxe release and misc other items. Took maybe two days to have it sighted in back to 50yds with 6 inch patterns.

Randomly going out won't work very well, if you know the area and when the deer are moving you can clean up nicely. Went to my parents this past weekeend and bagged one Friday evening at 25yds after waiting for around 2.5 hours. Not the biggest I have gotten by any means, but hey...its something in the freezer.

Cam%208pt.JPG

After

8pt.JPG

Good job. I assume you are going to get it ground into summer sausage and burger meat?

I quarter out my own deer and got about 6 big roasts, 10 bags of burger and about 5 bags of loin. Loin Chops, Roast with potatoes/vegs, and burger into everything that can be used in it. So far, my brother got a 7pt, me a 8pt, dad hit a 8pt but after trailing for 1/2 mi and crossing the property lines it got away. But with this years gun season soon approaching we hope to get more. Last year we got 11 deer, so hoping to hit that mark again this year since in zone C, you can get 6 deer in 1 day.

My brother noticed that the reg's changed and sent an E-mail to ODNR asking about it. Since the hunting manual only states the limit was 6 with no specs, he asked if it had to spread out or can be taken in one day. Their reply was, Yes...6 deer can be taken in 1 day...but only so long as each deer is tagged by the hunter before the next deer is taken. So...take one...place your temp on it and get your next before checking in at the end of the day. Now...I know we would all tag our deer (cough) before mowing down the herd ;)

Cam%208pt.JPG

After

8pt.JPG

nice kill for sure, i have still yet to bag a buck:( but my time will come eventually i guess. and that big guy will just get bigger remember that, he has some wicked g2's and g3's but his body is still small. just pray that no one else targets him and you pick him up next year on the trailcam again because he is probably only a two and a halfer :D

Yeah, that was kinda a hope i was thinking of also. Since the one I got has a big body (122lbs dressed,180ish live) and smaller antlers..it was nice to pick him out of the herd to get some better gene's into the next few years births. Hopefully in about 2-3 years we will have more decent shape/mass to hunt. This season thus far, they are moving very late in the day. Everyone that has a deer so far got it between 5-5:30. Only 1 person I know got a early morning deer, which was right at dawn. But that with with the warm weather keeping them down. Hopefully they are moving a lot more now.

lost yea i know.. my stand is close and i can practice at home..

nate, eflores: if you can get me info on you bows fairly soon that would be good.. i found a bow that i like and plan on getting next weekend unless one of you have a better deal for me..

i know my property pretty well.. ive had a stand up for a few weeks and sit for at least 3 nights a week... ive got 5 doe that travel together and last week a big buck was trailing.. then there is another smaller one that has been around my stand but i think he is a morning traveler

nice what are you looking at getting right now? and i can help you out from there. and thanks for offering land to hunt, but i dont want to intrude on your five acres, if you had more land i would take you up on that offer for sure. but i will let you take care of your heard:D

im looking at a parker( not sure on model).. its a left over new.. 50#- 60# adjustable pullback, ~26-30 pull length, 300+ fps

parkers are really nice bows for the price for sure, and if its a discounted left over it has some potential to be really nice. where do you plan on getting everything setup at?

its at, was at idk if it still is, target world and the guy i talked to, dave, started sighting it in and everything b4 i even committed to it...he did a great job explaining everything and seemed to be truely honest with me and not just trying to sell me something no matter what it was. im going to check out some smaller shops around town before i commit to anything