1969 Mach 1 Clusterf#ck

Guest ND4SPD

Guest ND4SPD

Howdy folks!

So we just took delivery of a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 that was used as a drag car. The guy essentially just cut off the wheelie bar, bolted all the OEM stuff and interior back on, and sold it. Now we knew the damn thing had issues, but not quite like this:

Apparently the guy had a rusted panel or a dinged up panel or something, because he slapped a right-rear quarter panel on the car.

Yeah, that's right - just SLAPPED IT ON. He didn't remove the old panel, he just stuck the new one over the old one and bondo'd it in place - really poorly, I might add. So now the line on the right side of the car from the door back is all kinds of screwed up. He seated the door latch a bit out to try and compensate, but it's obvious to anybody other than Ray Charles that there was some half-ass, redneck-tech bodywork going on.

Now, the original plan was to parts out the damn thing for a current project and then sell the body. But I took one look at this car when I got home on Saturday and just fell in love with it, dents and all, so I am now on The Magical Quest To Save the Beater Mach.

So the question is - how the hell do I fix this without taking it to some body shop and amputating both testicles and my right arm to pay for it? I got a buddy who's real good with the paint and bondo stuff, but other than some choice words for the idiot who performed this half-assed facelift, he's fresh outta ideas. Any takers? I'll have pictures just as soon as I can get them. Thanks!

I too have seen the doubled-corner panels on more that one older car. The thing is, as half assed as it sounds. If he would have done it a little neater and took a little more time making everything line up, you never would have noticed it was ever done. I dunno, I'll have to wait to see pics, but it sounds like if you want it done right, you are gonna have to cut out and put new quarters in it.

Guest ND4SPD
I too have seen the doubled-corner panels on more that one older car. The thing is, as half assed as it sounds. If he would have done it a little neater and took a little more time making everything line up, you never would have noticed it was ever done. I dunno, I'll have to wait to see pics, but it sounds like if you want it done right, you are gonna have to cut out and put new quarters in it.

That's what I'm worried about - I don't have the expertise to perform major surgery on this car's bodywork, and I don't have the money to pay somebody to do it. I really, REALLY wish this guy would have done a better job at this. If it was done and nobody could tell, I wouldn't care. :mad: I don't wanna take this thing to a national show and win an award for cosmetics, or take it to Barrett Jackson and try and get some idiot with more money than brains to blow six figures on it - I just want it to look half-way decent, which at current it doesn't. [sigh]

BTW, I should have pictures posted Thursday night or Friday morning. I have to go back up to Cleveland to get eyes on this thing.

Thanks again, guys.

That's what I'm worried about - I don't have the expertise to perform major surgery on this car's bodywork, and I don't have the money to pay somebody to do it. I really, REALLY wish this guy would have done a better job at this. If it was done and nobody could tell, I wouldn't care. :mad: I don't wanna take this thing to a national show and win an award for cosmetics, or take it to Barrett Jackson and try and get some idiot with more money than brains to blow six figures on it - I just want it to look half-way decent, which at current it doesn't. [sigh]

BTW, I should have pictures posted Thursday night or Friday morning. I have to go back up to Cleveland to get eyes on this thing.

Thanks again, guys.

welp sounds like now is a great time to learn. :eek: if you have a friend thats a good body man have him help ya. whats the worst that can happen? you screw it up? sounds like its pretty much screwed now anyways.