FS - Fuji S7000 Digital Camera (takes good vids too)

I was going to get into photography as a hobby a while back and bought way more camera than I need. I hardly use it, so it’s going away. I bought a decent little camera to replace it, but so far I have been less than impressed compared to this one.

It’s a pretty sweet camera. It takes 6.3 Megapixel (Interpolated to a 12 MP recording) huge resolution high-quality photos or you can scale it back down to 2, 3 or 6 MP. It also has a setting for Normal and Fine 12M interpolated. The zoom goes out to 6x and digital zoom will take it much farther (although it’s not needed).

Videos are pretty good also. The sound is actually as good as or better than many video cams I have played with. Like any camera of this type, it cant be zoomed once recording begins. I have a sample vid taken with this camera - Burnout.

A sample pic taken at only 3MP from a recent trip to Put-In-Bay can be seen here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/twistedfocus/DSCF1438.jpg?t=1184780179

Note: PhotoBucket further resized it to 800 x 600, but you get the idea of how vivid the colors are.

Specs:

http://dpnow.com/archives/fuji%20s7000.jpg

The FinePix S7000 is designed around the entirely new 1/1.7-inch 4th-Generation Super CCD HR sensor, employing an amazing 6.3 million effective pixels* to deliver ultra-high resolution images of 4048 × 3040 (12.3 million) recording pixels.

Made possible through Fujifilm’s advanced miniaturization technology, and optimized in tandem with a newly developed state-of-the-art image-processor, the 4th-Generation Super CCD HR ensures greater sensitivity, higher signal-to-noise ratio, wider tonal range, and consistently superb color reproduction. The FinePix S7000 processes even large image files with remarkable speed, and the on-board ASIC processor permits rapid-fire shooting.

Sensor 6.3 Megapixel

Size 1/1.7-inch

Optical Zoom 6x

Digital Zoom 3.2x

LCD Monitor 1.8-inch TFT

Shutter Speed 15 - 1/10,000 sec.

Voice Memo 30 seconds

Memory Included 16MB xD-Picture Card

16 MB Storage Media xD-Picture Card

High-Performance 19.2x Zooming

Fast and responsive f/2.8 Super EBC Fujinon 6x optical zoom lens (equivalent to 35-210mm) combined with powerful 3.2x digital zoom. Fujinon wide angle and telephoto lens adapters available.

Continuous Shooting Button

Three Modes:

- Top 5-frame: 12.3MP, 5 frames/sec. when shutter button is pressed.

- Final 5-frame: 12.3MP, 5 frames/sec. when shutter button is released.

- Long-Period Continuous Shooting: 1.6 frames/sec. up to 40 frames when set to 1, 2, or 3MP resolution.

Flexible Flash Modes

The FinePix S7000 flash options include Auto, Red Eye Reduction, Red Eye Slow Sync, Fill, Off, Sync, and Power Level modes. External flashes connect via the FinePix S7000s hot-shoe adapter.

Advanced Exposure Controls

Added control to get the exposure you want: Auto, Programmed AE, Aperture-Priority AE, Shutter Speed-Priority AE, Manual EV, and Preprogrammed Scene Position modes. Range of ISO-equivalent sensitivities, from 160-800 Auto, 200-800 manual.

This camera alone was $699 just a couple of years ago when I bought it. It’s in like-new condition.

I’m thinking $350 for:

• Camera
  • Matching padded bag
  • Batteries and charger
  • 16 MB XD card (came with it)
  • 256 MB XD card
  • Jump-Drive Adapter (allows you to use the media card as a jump-drive and makes it really easy to offload your pics to any computer – no software needed)
  • I think I have the FinePix software, but I don’t use it – the jump-drive Is great.
  • Tripod

No, they mean it will take up to 40 frames at a time, continuously, at 1.6 f/sec when set to 1-3MP. That's pretty good and plenty for a string of action shots in most situations. Exspecially given that the images still come out great at "only" 3MP.

It does do 30 FPS in video mode, however, which looks really good. Check out the sample video.

It's shutter is nearly instant. There may be just a tiny bit of delay, but barely perceptible, probably less than 1/4 second unless you're purposely using a very long shutter time (obviously).

For followup shots, it depends on the resolution you're using. Recycle time at full resolution is probably about 2.5-3 seconds. The average file size of full res shots is about 5MB, so it takes it a second to write to the card. Obviously, at lower resolution it's writing a smaller file so it's a bit quicker. It won't do action shots as quickly as a full DSLR but it does pretty well, especially if you put it in some of the fast shooting modes (Top 5, etc.)