Trans Fluid

1qwk767

IM a replacing the Trans in my 1g FWD 5spd this week, I plan on using royal purple gear oil

my questions are as followed:

1. What weight should I use I know Royal Purple has 2 weights 75w90 and 75w150, I think the 75w150 is way to thick but I wasnt sure what to use.

2. I know my trans takes 2.4qts of fluid would I be fine with doing 2qts of normal fluid and .4qts of the Royal Purple Synchromax, or should I just run straight gear oil.

TIA for all you help guys

Mark

is the transmission you're putting in recently rebuilt or just a stock one with lower miles? What made you decide on going to a gear oil?

Synchromesh, which has a fond following in DSM land, is about the equivelant of 80W, so I would lean towards the idea that the 75-150w would be too thick. You can mix match synthetics just fine, as long as you're confident that you'll be happy with the resulting viscosity.

hrm...I honestly don't know what the stock fill was supposed to be on those cars. I have the factory manual on a CD somewhere, I'll have to try to find it and look it up.

I always used Synchromesh with good results. If you're feeling a little more expensive, there's always BG Synchroshift as well which is very highly regarded for those transmissions, especially stock.

You could always shoot Sheperd an email

Guest Removed
true, I have the haynes manual sitting right infront of me and its says 75-85w90 so Autozone carried the 75w90 and 75w150 in RP along with the RP syncromesh shit

Im going too take it as your not having shifting issues now.Syncromesh is a much lighter oil, and will cure most cold weather shifting issues(cold start's). But i do not recommend running it in your's.go with the 75w90 and you should be fine.unless you are having shifting issues.mixxing the two is not a great idea.