friendly fella with a v8 turbo setup?

baron_

I've collected all the parts for a v8 turbo setup for a traditional pontiac engine (455, probably)

Someone on here have an old chevy or ford v8 that I could talk to?

I'd love to drop by some time and look at it, get opinions...thoughts etc

This should be a fun build (two big Holset diesel turbos....i've got the manifolds mostly done already)

What size holsets are you running, or what did they come off of? Also, what vehicle is this going in? Engine bay size will play alot in the plumbing department.

I am doing a setup on a 425 Olds with twins, just need time off so I can actually work on the thing. A shop not an hour away would help also.

2 holset H1E's

Biggish diesel turbos from what i know

according to the map, they should be good for a lower RPM motor (like a pontiac)

this is gonna be my first setup, all on the cheap

and after i blow up the engine from learning to tune it the first time, I'll build something fancier

It'll go into a 60's GTO or Firebird (no car, yet...shopping)

I've got a '66 GTO they'll go in until i find something more suitable

so, i don't anticipate any problem with engine space - i'll take the inner fenders out and have a crapload of room

The headers are the biggest headache - all have to be custom

I've got a beat 400 engine that's low compression these will go on for testing

and a 467 forged components motor is almost built and ready...and will be the victim when i learn more about it

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~mertzgea/100_0965.jpg

Mockup on a 70's firebird to get the angle of the exhaust manifolds right

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~mertzgea/100_0979.jpg

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~mertzgea/100_0967.jpg

High 10's, low 11's are the current goal. Maybe high 9's with the 467, after i learn what i'm doing

A buddy has a setup that runs 9.87 that i'm modeling all this after

another buddy i trusted that works for Ford and comes across good, used parts on occasion

otherwise, i probably would have just gambled on some from ebay

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~mertzgea/100_0977.JPG

I still haven't figured out what sort of carb to use. I like q-jets, but hear they don't respond too well to the blow-through modifications

I've collected all the parts for a v8 turbo setup for a traditional pontiac engine (455, probably)

Someone on here have an old chevy or ford v8 that I could talk to?

I'd love to drop by some time and look at it, get opinions...thoughts etc

This should be a fun build (two big Holset diesel turbos....i've got the manifolds mostly done already)

Hope you've either A. Got a good hookup on Pontiac parts B. Have $$$$$ falling out of your wallet, cause a 455 Pontiac ain't cheap to build. But the 400 Ram Air heads flow some nasty CFM #'s from the factory not to mention after they've been opened up. Good luck.

another buddy i trusted that works for Ford and comes across good, used parts on occasion

otherwise, i probably would have just gambled on some from ebay

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~mertzgea/100_0977.JPG

I still haven't figured out what sort of carb to use. I like q-jets, but hear they don't respond too well to the blow-through modifications

enclose the entire carb in a pressure box then you won't need anything fancy

hum :)

I've got 8 455 blocks, 3 400 blocks and probably 20 sets of heads

enough new parts to build 2 or 3 engines, so that isn't much of a problem :)

Been collecting this stuff for a long time, whenever I see it

It's getting awful hard to find

I've had 400's and 455's....and there's nothing like the torque of a 455

anyways, I thought several modifications needed to be made to a blow-through carb? (not to mention the added hat)

I've been looking at those 'mighty demon' blow through carbs, but i'd listen to cheaper options :)

you can blow through a carb 2 ways the first is with a hat mounted right to the top of the carb to do it this way you need the carb to be made special so it doesn't blow fuel out around the throttle shafts and whatnot

the other way you enclose the entire carb in a sealed box and pressurize the entire assembly this lets you use a standard carb with a rrfpr

hth

i'm not at all familiar with the pressurizing box method, but it sounds interesting

I almost went with an ATI procharger system instead

But 'cheap' appeals, just to show someone that it can be done

So far, I've got $900 in everything....

the procharger would be an easy 3,000 or 4,000 down

very very interesting

thanks for posting - hadn't seen that

although, i might wonder if buying a specially built carb is easier in the long-run

a buddy has a new mighty demon 750 blow through for $500 that's a bit tempting

Guest Removed
you can blow through a carb 2 ways the first is with a hat mounted right to the top of the carb to do it this way you need the carb to be made special so it doesn't blow fuel out around the throttle shafts and whatnot

the other way you enclose the entire carb in a sealed box and pressurize the entire assembly this lets you use a standard carb with a rrfpr

hth

true story, but they also have a few different carbs too do it.

like this one..http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/100_0827.jpg

that carb is about 1100

great place for info on this stuff is turbostangs.com thers a complete section on blowing thru a carb , and how too mod a normal one, for blow thru duty.

I don't guess there's someone on these boards that likes to build blow-through carbs? :)

I've got other worries at the moment...and would like to not be worrying about whether the carb is right...when i fire this sucker up (there will be plenty of other variables messing up...I'd like to eliminate this one)

Guest Removed
I don't guess there's someone on these boards that likes to build blow-through carbs? :)

I've got other worries at the moment...and would like to not be worrying about whether the carb is right...when i fire this sucker up (there will be plenty of other variables messing up...I'd like to eliminate this one)

look , either way. you just cant bolt a carb on expect it too be right. it takes lots of tuning, too get them right. the right person can get them close, but you still have too do some fine tuning.