3000 GT vr-4

Mattsn2o281

I want to see what everyones opinion is on these cars. i am thinking of trying to get a 93 off a friend of mine for a daily driver/ project a few months down the road. The car has around 150k miles on it and it has a few issues that will be needing addressed pretty quick, number 1 being the tranny grinds slightly going into 2nd and 3rd under full throttle. car is all stock minus a set of rims, so that gives me hope that it hasn't been beat to death, as it seems to run out fairly strong.

I have always liked the look of these cars, and i know they have some potential to be decently fast cars. But what is the downside? i know mitsu's are known to have quirks and wierd issues, but i dont mind wrenching on it, not that it looks like fun, that shit is slammed under the hood lol.

Anyway, i know a few of you have them, and i believe IPS works on them a fair bit? is this right? what are the best places in town to take one of these for major work? and whats the aftermarket like? supra-like pricing on upgrades or fairly decent pricing?

Let me know, and thanks guys...

Matt

I owned a '94 VR-4 a few years ago. The car had high mileage, but was owned and maintained by the service manager at Passen. The car ran extremely well and was very reliable because it had be so well maintained. If the car you are buying already has problems and you have no documentation of various services I would expect to work on it quite often.

IPS will definitely work on the car. Jeff at IPS has a highly modified VR4 and is very knowledgeable about the cars - get in touch with him!

I had a 91 that was all stock and was the worst money pit I have ever owned. I loved the way it looked and when it ran was pretty quick.

Keeping it running was expensive and time consuming.

I would never own one again. Even if it was given to me

With 150K on the clock a tranny build honestly isnt a big deal or unexpected IMO. It all depends on how good a deal you got or will get on the car to offset the potential pitfalls of unexpected repairs you might incur. We have cars come thru the shop with 7k miles and some with 207k miles and they are all different. The tranny and t-case issues are very well documented and you can find used replacements pretty easily online. Stock-ish cars have been very reliable dailys well into the 200k mile range.

Call me at the shop anytime this week (614-444-5884) and I would be more than happy to discuss the highs and lows of the car and what I would look for up front to make sure you arent getting into a huge money pit.

Jeff

Eric, What kind of shape was yours in when you got it? Milage, condition, was it beat to shit etc.

Also, its always been a rule of mine anytime i plan to buy a higher milage used car, i replace the timing belt, gears etc. as well as a full tune up. I did a belt in a SL so i know what a pita these cars are, but really, you take your time and its all good. i just still cant get over how crammed in there the vr4 motor is compared to a SL.

I had a supercoupe as a daily driver for a long time, so i know about keeping something on the road that is a huge pain in the ass to work on. ( i still cannt get over how retarded that intercooler setup is...) I just like to have something different and a lil exclusive, and i cant really say i see alot of vr4's around.

What are some things i can expect to be fixing, what were some major problem areas for them? also, anyone know of any forums specificly for the 3kgt/stealth aside from 3si.org? Thanks guys...

Hell, Jeff probably has enough parts around the shop and his garage to build you a damned VR4 from the ground up :D

LOL -- very true. I just counted and we have 14 VR4s in the shop this morning (not counting mine) and probably enough spare parts to build a 15th :)

If you drove around the city all month long you would be lucky to find more than a handfull so yeah, they are pretty rare cars -- especially the 94+ second generation cars.

There are quite a few quick ones running around now but most of the guys arent the street-racing type so you most likely wont be seeing them in any vids anytime soon. Ill hopefully be changing that if we ever find a couple days to finish mine up lol.

Jeff

arent they kinda pigs in the weight department, especially for what you can get out of them power-wise?

Most are in the 3600-3800 Lb range but can easily run 12s with the tiny stock turbos and just bolt-ons. To run 11s or better it gets a wee bit more expensive unless you dont mind adding a 75-shot.

Jeff

Most are in the 3600-3800 Lb range but can easily run 12s with the tiny stock turbos and just bolt-ons. To run 11s or better it gets a wee bit more expensive unless you dont mind adding a 75-shot.

Jeff

More impressive than I imagined. How do they handle with that kinda setup? Anything really trackworthy?

More impressive than I imagined. How do they handle with that kinda setup? Anything really trackworthy?

I've seen video of one pacing a Viper quite well on Road America until the brakes caught fire. I wouldnt track one without the most massive brakes I could fit in the wheels and as much cooling duct could fit as well, 3800lbs is a lot of weight to stop, especially at high speeds.

I've seen video of one pacing a Viper quite well on Road America until the brakes caught fire. I wouldnt track one without the most massive brakes I could fit in the wheels and as much cooling duct could fit as well, 3800lbs is a lot of weight to stop, especially at high speeds.

Yeah, for sure. I had the brakes smoking on a TSX going around Mid-Ohio cuz I was too hard in on turn 7, but yeah....wouldn't want to try that in a near two-ton car.