My house flooded!!!!

PrincessPratt

Well I threw a load of clothes in the wash so I could pack for turkey day and then left to go get the mario kart for my wii. I got home 45 minutes later and had 2 inches of water in my kitchen and at least 6 inches in my basement. My hose from my washer broke off!!!

I have bamboo that was just laid a year ago (5/8 inch...it's the real stuff). It is completely saturated. I managed to get all the water sucked up and swept most of the basement water into the sump pump.

Question.....will my bamboo survive???? I don't want to have to file another home owner's claim since I just had a 22K claim that I finally got 2 weeks ago for my broken chimney.

Also my fuse box has a blown fuse. I have tried to reset it and it's still red/orange. How in the world do u replace a freakin fuse? These are the ONLY times I hate being single darn it!!! hehe.

And thank you to Hwilli for walking me through my mess over the phone!!! Kudos for one nice guy this week!!!!!;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

run a fan or heater in that room and get it dry quickly. It's probably not saturated as you think rather than just ran through it. as far as the breaker turn off the main breaker, pop out the bad one unscrew the attatched wire replace wire on new one and pop back in, turn on main or I would advise gettin someone with a tester.

That breaker may have something wet attatched to it, let it dry for a while and try to flip it again.

not to mention the main feed into the house is more than likely 230 single faze, 100amp service unless it's from the mid 70's and has never been updated. That shit will kill you.

The older stuff will just burn your house down :D

But seriously I'd get a real electrician out there to look things over, it's not worth the risk.

EDIT

If I was closer than 3hrs and didnt have to work in the morning I'd come over and help ya out, but thats kinda a major issue having just bought a house :(

not to mention the main feed into the house is more than likely 230 single faze, 100amp service unless it's from the mid 70's and has never been updated. That shit will kill you.

The older stuff will just burn your house down :D

But seriously I'd get a real electrician out there to look things over, it's not worth the risk.

EDIT

If I was closer than 3hrs and didnt have to work in the morning I'd come over and help ya out, but thats kinda a major issue having just bought a house :(

My house is only 8 years old. ;)

well, if you like, as a good faith gesture, you can come stay with me till everything is straightened out :D:dj:

hahaha..funny! Thanks 4 the offer but I think I'm gonna let enough alone and take all my wet clothes/towels to my mom's and do the laundry now that my washer hose is broken. She's gonna love me this weekend! hehe.

dang girl why didn't you call??? do you have dehumidifiers? get them running in the basement, and one on each floor.... that will help with drying everything out.... and which hose burst?? Might be able to replace it.. as far as the breaker..... it shouldn't keep tripping unless the water got into the circuit somewhere and is causing a short in the line... if the breaker needs replaced it is fairly easy... but it might not solve the problem...

WEll looks like there is more extensive damage to my floors than what I thought. I woke up this morning and they are all darkened around the parts where they lay together. I don't think this is part of the actually "drying" process but actual damage. I called my insurance agent today and she informed me that if I put in another claim to allstate since I just had a 22k claim for my chimney 2 months ago they will 1. drop me completely from their homeowners insurance or 2. triple my homeowners for the remainer of my time with them (I'd be paying almost 1500/year then). I'm so frustrated but at least my boss literally kicked me out of the office just now to go home to take care of this stuff.

princess I have a quite a bit of flooring experience, as it's what I do for a living, that being said don't jump the gun just yet. the seems between the wood is naturally where all the water ran through. I say give it a little time to dry all the way and see what happens. The color might come back to normal.

If that doesn't happen, an option is sanding the finish off and staining it. Then, you poly urethane it.

If worse comes to worse let me know maybe I could make a weekend trip to C-bus and fix it for you.

What color is the bamboo? I have put down the natural(really light) and dark. I like the look. Maybe consider tile since there is water possibilities.;)

Sarah Id say give it time to dry up. As cold as it is outside it will take some time to get everything evaporated out.

My house is 87 degrees right now. I'm melting!:( My big concern today is getting someone over here to look at my electrical box. I'm gonna hit lowes in a few minutes here! I guess I need to be thankful that that I still have a roof over my head and the finances to pay for this. Many people don't with this economy. Seeing that it is Thanksgiving I'm going to stay positive. ;)

princess I have a quite a bit of flooring experience, as it's what I do for a living, that being said don't jump the gun just yet. the seems between the wood is naturally where all the water ran through. I say give it a little time to dry all the way and see what happens. The color might come back to normal.

If that doesn't happen, an option is sanding the finish off and staining it. Then, you poly urethane it.

If worse comes to worse let me know maybe I could make a weekend trip to C-bus and fix it for you.

What color is the bamboo? I have put down the natural(really light) and dark. I like the look. Maybe consider tile since there is water possibilities.;)

Its all natural...really really light to match my maple cabinets. I know everyone is telling me to stop freaking out! I always stress myself out more than I should!

dang girl why didn't you call??? do you have dehumidifiers? get them running in the basement, and one on each floor.... that will help with drying everything out.... and which hose burst?? Might be able to replace it.. as far as the breaker..... it shouldn't keep tripping unless the water got into the circuit somewhere and is causing a short in the line... if the breaker needs replaced it is fairly easy... but it might not solve the problem...

Chris I've called u twice this morning. I'm gonna try to take out the breaker thingy and take it to lowes to get another one to replace it. Is there any way you can stop by today to take a look?

Um... has anybody heard from her? She posted this over an hour ago. I hope she isn't stuck to the breaker box. :nono:

No I tried to get the breaker out but couldn't. Thank God I did talk to Jeremy on the phone b/c now I know I need to turn off the main switch first. Ya I was having a blonde moment. hehe. I am just so frustrated right now! I have someone coming over in an hour to see if I need to spend the 3500 to get my floors/basement dried out. I'm taking Jeremy's advice though.....THANKS DUDE!! Have fun with all those kids in ur house today! :D;):p

You need to relax and stop trying to mess with something that could very easily end your life. Leave that breaker box alone before something bad happens to you. Make yourself some hot sake or something to take the edge off a bit.

I know. I have for now. I spoke to Chris and I'm hoping he'll be able to take a look at it for me.

No I tried to get the breaker out but couldn't. Thank God I did talk to Jeremy on the phone b/c now I know I need to turn off the main switch first. Ya I was having a blonde moment. hehe. I am just so frustrated right now! I have someone coming over in an hour to see if I need to spend the 3500 to get my floors/basement dried out. I'm taking Jeremy's advice though.....THANKS DUDE!! Have fun with all those kids in ur house today! :D;):p

She told me she was trying to get it out and my first ? was did you turn the main off? To which she replied "no". I didn't want to scare her so I did not make much of a deal about it. Phew(wiping my brow).

I got rid of them unruly little bastages, I'm going to help my friends Grandmother. Her mobile home is pretty drafty, so I'll try to seal the place up for her, so she stays warm this winter.:cool: Hopefully I won't get paid with meatballs.