Movie Review: Superbad

CobraKevin

Sorry about the delay, but here we go.

Summary: Two childhood friends, Seth and Evan, are rounding out their high school years and want to go out with a bang since they're going to different colleges. Their mission objective: supply booze for a party and ultimately get laid. Given the fact they are underage, they rely on their underage retarded friend Fogle and his fake I.D. to pull through, resulting in plenty of snags along the way.

Pros: Definitely a riot of a film. Judd Apatow, with help from writer/actor Seth Rogan, put together another great comedy in their unalligned trio (combined with 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up). Lots of random humor and I'm sure a number of gestures/one-liners that might get missed in one viewing.

Cons: I'm not old by any means, but high school humor isn't AS funny for me as it used to be. There were a handful of moments in the film that I could tell were supposed to be punchlines, but didn't really get me or the rest of the audience going.

Conclusion: 4.25/5.00. I think Apatow's first two creations had more adult-oriented humor, and therefore earned my preference. I personally think each film's comedic value has dulled ever-so-slightly in order of release. Don't get me wrong, it was a hysterical film. If you enjoyed the other two Apatow films, it's a no brainer you should've been in the theater by now. I think my expectations were a bit too high, however, and the style of humor wasn't quite my preference. Possibly one of those films that are more entertaining the second time around. Regardless, it still comes recommended from me.

-Kevin