How to convert MKV file to AVI or anything else

87GT

To start off I have installed every codec I can think of. I can play the MKV files fine in WMP and MPC.

So I have a bunch of MKV format videos I downloaded. I have tried using MKV to AVI and also VirtualDubMod to try to convert to AVI. I either have a file converted that doesn't play in WMP or MPC OR Virtual dub won't even begin to convert it.

Virtualdubmod keeps giving an error when opening the file to convert that I am missing Windows Video Codec. I downloaded these from freecodecs.com and it still gives the error.

I also tried using River past Crazi Video which will convert MKV to WMV fine. It seems this program only converts to a higher compressed file which I don't want. I think this program is only used to convert to a format that portable video players will read (Zune Ipod Cell phone etc).

Is there an easier way to convert MKV to something that will play on a locked down machine with just windows media player on it?

Hmm...Im stumped on that one....

Just out of curiosity, what do you not like about the MKV format? I love it, personally.

I have nothing against the codec. I like it a lot. Only problem is watching it on my work PC that is kind of locked down. MKV codec doesn't come with XP normally. That is my problem.

Google "Super@", it's open source freeware for converting pretty much everything out there from one thing to another.

+1 super is the best.

EDIT: added something useful, here's a direct link to the download

http://www.erightsoft.org/97CD1687980A7A47FE016/SUPERsetup.exe