Snap-On

Crossle

I don't have any pricelists near me, but, I have always found cheaper tools with Mac and Cornwell.

Pat, I broke 3 craftsman on one job lol.

Rob is right, when the tool truck(s) roll around, get a good relationship with the guys. The more you buy, the more discounts they give you. I know John (my Mac guy) gives me a good break, and is good about payments (especially when you had an off week).

Kirk, the big tool companies have the same lifetime warranty as craftsman. I've had my Mac stuff replaced no questions asked, and craftsman stuff no questions asked. You tend to find when you use it multiple times daily, a wrench is no longer just a wrench.

I guess to each his own. Find what you like and go with it.

PS. Rob, if you want Mac tools I can get you our guy's number.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirk, the big tool companies have the same lifetime warranty as craftsman. I've had my Mac stuff replaced no questions asked, and craftsman stuff no questions asked. You tend to find when you use it multiple times daily, a wrench is no longer just a wrench.

I guess to each his own. Find what you like and go with it.

PS. Rob, if you want Mac tools I can get you our guy's number.

i know what you mean hal, craftsman seems to be some of the cheapest lifetime guaranteed tools.

shop around the discount is ok, but the prices are really high to start out....

I've got a mix of cratsman snap on, matco, mac, s/k, proto, ingersol, and china specials from harbor freight

Start with a good basic set of hand and air tools and go from there... if you need to borrow it more than once go and buy it is my rule

the best thing about going with a truck over sears is the truck comes to you at least once a week and the guy usually knows his shit at sears you get stoned johnny highschool who makes minimum wage

I still buy from sears sometimes, but its rare anymore becuse its a hassle

rofl

any way i can get the snap-on truck to stop at my house? j/k

I can! my house is still in his area. and if need be, i could get him to stop.(if he wants his damn money,they will come get it)

The best thing for you to do would be to start buying very young. So when you're 4-5 years into it you don't have a damn thing to buy and your account is at $0.00. Of course there will always be little things, but just throw them on your RA account and pay him $20 a week. And keep with one brand, don't go too into debt with 4 different truck accounts. It's not really worth it.

Everything I own is Snap-On, from my tool-box to my pocket screwdriver, minus my Ingersol-Rand Impact guns, I'm not a big fan of Snap-On's Impact gun selection, the rest of the air tool pieces are great. I probably have about $15k into my collection right now. The best thing for you to buy though is a good set of impacts 1/2" and 3/8"'s and then a real nice set of wrenches like the Snap-On flankdrive plus set. They are around $400 for a set of wrenches, but you'll understand why when you use them, plus you'll have the nicest set for the rest of your career.

If you want to talk tools, hit me up on aim sometime. I enjoy the conversation.

Guest 614Streets

Kobalt tools at lowes are made by snap on , and husky tools at the home depot are made by MAC. I use husky boxes and kobalt hand tools, then snap off and ingersol for certain tools along with some habor freight impacts and wrenches etc and a few cornwell and mac.

I dont buy any craftsman it is the junkiest shit in the world, the craftsman rachets are pure junk!

I have been told and have experienced that craftsmen tools are great for home use. Like it was said above, craftsmen ratchets suck, they feel sloppy and don't do well when you have very little space to swing. I don;t see craftsmen tools doing well when it comes to the everyday beating they would take at a shop. With that being having used snap on tools for the last year and a half, the worst i have done to any of them is put hairline cracks in some of the smaller 1/4 sockets.

We also only have a snap-on truck come around and i know him quite well having worked at the shop for the last 3.5 years. We have tried to get a MAC truck to come around, but they never do even though we have a collection of trashed impact sockets that we would like to replaced. This is also a downfall of craftsmen because some techs can't get to sears after work/during work for whatever reason. Every minute that you have a necessary tool down is money lost.

So having grown up w/ craftsmen in the home garage, snap-on and MAC at work, that is probably what i will go with. Everyone at the shop i work at uses snap-on only for the most part and the last guy that had craftemen tools broke them all and replaced each one with snapon. Remember we are a private shop not a chain like some of you work at, so it is tougher to get other trucks to show especially since we are all snap-on as it is.....

I appreciate the input everyone, this is really helpful.

The best thing for you to do would be to start buying very young. So when you're 4-5 years into it you don't have a damn thing to buy and your account is at $0.00. Of course there will always be little things, but just throw them on your RA account and pay him $20 a week. And keep with one brand, don't go too into debt with 4 different truck accounts. It's not really worth it.

Everything I own is Snap-On, from my tool-box to my pocket screwdriver, minus my Ingersol-Rand Impact guns, I'm not a big fan of Snap-On's Impact gun selection, the rest of the air tool pieces are great. I probably have about $15k into my collection right now. The best thing for you to buy though is a good set of impacts 1/2" and 3/8"'s and then a real nice set of wrenches like the Snap-On flankdrive plus set. They are around $400 for a set of wrenches, but you'll understand why when you use them, plus you'll have the nicest set for the rest of your career.

If you want to talk tools, hit me up on aim sometime. I enjoy the conversation.

done buyying tools after 4 or 5 years :confused:

only have 15k in tools :confused:

i have 15 k in tool boxs alone(at work and home)...let alone all the tools!

Dude i know....my boss stands on the bottom drawer to see into the top of his box all the time. The boxes i was looking at through the program were like maybe $1500 for a top and bottom. We tried to price my bosses box out and came up with around $8500 and his is fuckin huge.

Good grief, how big of a box do you need? 15K sounds like an awful lot of box too me....unless you have an equally huge box at home as you do where you work?

work!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/100_0656.jpg

I'm 6" tall and i need a step stool to get in the top!and of course my cart!

when i was pricing boxs, what i was looking for, they wanted 8500 just for the bottom box!

home

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/100_0630.jpg not so big, but at the moment it is full! but then i have a lots of tools here at the house aswell!

now granted, the work box was picked up used(like new), half full of tools, for what my mac man told me was stealing it ;)

done buyying tools after 4 or 5 years :confused:

only have 15k in tools :confused:

i have 15 k in tool boxs alone(at work and home)...let alone all the tools!

Well I'm only two years in right now, that's how much I've spent. Plus you work at an independent shop, I work at a dealership. I don't really need everything you need. Although I'm working on buying everything. My bill will be about down to $0 around February time then it's time to get more.

I'm 6" tall and i need a step stool to get in the top!and of course my cart!

when i was pricing boxs, what i was looking for, they wanted 8500 just for the bottom box

now granted, the work box was picked up used(like new), half full of tools, for what my mac man told me was stealing it ;)

Wow that is a pricey box then! Someone decided to sell their box back to the MAC man and you managed to end up w/ it, still partially full of tools? Wow, our snap-on guy gets tools back, but rarely a box w/ tools in it. That was probably a REALLY good deal.

No, i found a guy selling it...he took some of his tools out of it(air tools and a few other things). I picked it up for $4000 cash. Mac man would not have sold it that cheap. trust me! But i made sure he didnt owe money on it first! He bought it out right a couple years back for like 9000 or so!

Well I'm only two years in right now, that's how much I've spent. Plus you work at an independent shop, I work at a dealership. I don't really need everything you need. Although I'm working on buying everything. My bill will be about down to $0 around February time then it's time to get more.

this is true! some dealer jobs you only need some things..(you'll never need a complete socket set, really) and at some independent shops, you wont need more then basic hand tools. but those shops are far and few between these days.

i have a Matco top/botton double bay box at work and it is better quility than snap-on, and cheeper. i'm 6 years in and i'm pretty much done with tools at work (maybe 30k worth) so now i'm going to start on my tools for home. Craftsman Professional wrenches are awesome and i have yet to brake one. there wratchets suck ass. i also have a set of harbor freight 1/2 deep impact sockets that i picked up for $20 and have yet to brake one of those as well. maybe i just don't work on the junk most people do or something.

also, deffently pick up a set of 3/8 taint sockets you'll love them. what are taint sockets you ask? they taint short but they taint deep lol.

i have a Matco top/botton double bay box at work and it is better quility than snap-on, and cheeper.

also, deffently pick up a set of 3/8 taint sockets you'll love them. what are taint sockets you ask? they taint short but they taint deep lol.

I hear you 100% on the "taint" sockets lol. Never heard them referred to as that. Thanks for the tip on the box, what made you come to your conclusion that matco boxes are better?